Down Syndrome Community
Hi Star and all

This forum is for questions and support regarding Down Syndrome issues such as Dental Problems, Communication Problems, Developmental Disabilities, Hearing Loss, Hypothyroidism, Immune System Problems, Learning Disabilities, Joint Problems, Muscle Weakness, Respiratory Disorders, Seizures, Sleep Apnea, Weight Problems.

Hi Star and all

Happy New Year! Star I wondered if you have written a book? You sound like a person I met with a son named Chris.
Hey was Chris talking so others could understand him well at age 11 ? Little D isn't talking all that great and I'm affraid the 4 sessions of speach therapy he gets at school every week isn't working well because the therapist is a self absorbed twit. Every time I have poped in the therapy session , little d is sitting there in a room with other children staring at a computer. It is so fustrating. Are the schools allowed to cram as many children into a therapy session as they want?? Where can I find the rules for therapy in schools? I can ask the SE Director but she is very defensive and I don't want to make her hate me. She has made some pretty impressive accomodations for him.
P.S can I do spell check on this post lol
I went back to college when Chris was born to find better ways of working with him, I knew from my other children that Chris would need more than the school could give him. I  used the whole family to teach him, I made it fun for them and when they saw progress it really turned them on. Go to the ARC in your area with your concerns, that is what the ARC is for.  I made friends with all of his teachers and asked that all new things being offered were sent home with him so that we could apply it at home. I took him with me as much as possible and used anything I could to broaden his world. If I was shopping i would name each thing, like green beans in a can, beans are a vegatable, the can is aluminum, it is heavy, beans are Green, beans starts with B, and so forth. Teaching a child like this can be lots of fun, and others around you will want to join in and help also. He got to know so many people this way and they got to know him,  I remember the first time we went out to eat with the neighbors, she asked when our steaks came, can I help Chris cut up his meat, I only said to her, just watch him do it. In a way our children are teaching a public awareness just by being out there for all to observe thier capabilities.  If the school is not providing the plan that is required  , the IEP, then you need to ask them WHY?  It takes individual, hands on teaching for speech to progress. We used sign language with Chris  and reinforced it with the correct word spoken, till he learned to speak the word. Check the hearing, Chris was fitted for a hearing aide at age 12, many DS have very narrow ear canels. If you have a computer, get some of the childrens word learning programs for him, music tapes for children are so good also. they do not learn to talk from the TV unless it is a repetitive program. No I have never written a book, I lecture at conferences and voluteer with new parents.
Hi star sorry I didn't realize you answered me. Your letter had alot of great suggestions in it. Thank you so much . I know you are right. Sometimes I get discouraged and you inspired me to go back into the mother panther mode!!
Hello, thanks for responding before. I just wanted to find out, what is IEP? Also you mentioned asking ARC for help. I used to work for them for 7 years before my daughter with downs was born. You'd think since I gave them 7 yrs they'd be willing to help, but Iv called and left messages and no one even calls back! Since I worked their I know all the dirt about them, and have a hard time thinking they will actually help. Anyone else you know about, that might be willing to help? Thanks!
Mrs. K
The ARC here in my 7 county area is a very active organization. If you have problems getting their help, why not contact your state ARC. Google ARC and look for your state and seek help that way. Here we also have a social service  organization for Adults and Children with disabilities.  Tell me what state you are in and I will help you do some research. Many states are not as active in the services as Iowa is, but all must provide the services.
An IEP is what the disability ACt put in place for school age children with disabilities. Individual Education Plan.  At a conference once a year this is implamented and MUST be carried out by the school system.
What is the Individualized Education Program (IEP)?

An Individualized Education Program (IEP) describes the educational program that has been designed to meet that child's unique needs.  Each child who receives special education and related services must have an IEP.  Each IEP must be designed for one student and must be a truly individualized document.  The IEP creates an opportunity for teachers, parents, school administrators, related services personnel, and students (when age appropriate) to work together to improve educational results for children with disabilities. The IEP is the cornerstone of a quality education for each child with a disability.

The Individualized Education Program (IEP) is a legally binding document.  It establishes a plan for an individual student who meets the following eligibility criteria:

I attended these conferences every year of my sons school year, at various times during the year I would visit and ask to see what progress was being made.  this is a Federal law authored by my Home state Senator  Tom Harkin
Wow, thats alot for my brain to absorb. We actually have an awsome early intervention program that offers 18month olds a class "Baby and me" twice a month. It is The Arc of Utah I used to work for, that would not return my calls. The IEP sounds like a good idea, I'll ask about it when I take her to school tomarrow. Her test results came back possitive for apnea, and now they want to remove the tonsils and adnoids. And is currently being ordered oxygen while she sleeps. Thats going to be a challange keeping oxygen on an 18 month old. Any suggestions? ttyl