High Risk Down syndrome again?
Hello, I have a little boy who is now 1 yr old. After my first scan i was told that he would be at high risk of having down syndrome. Well he was born and he didn't have downs.
Me and my husband are now planning on getting pregnant again and was wondering what the chances are of being high risk again were.
We wanted to know if it was just the luck of the draw or if it was a mix or our DNA possibly.
Any info or advice would be appreciated.
Thank you
Hi, The main risk factor is age, over 35 and your statistical risk goes up. Having said that, I know of a 23yr old who has just had her second child and both children have Down's. I have a 4yr old with Down's, I was 38 when she was born. I paid for a nuchal translucency test, which showed up a problem at 11wks. I also had this test with my 1st pregnancy when I was 37, my baby boy was fine but sadly I lost him at 29wks. It's not a lot of info, but I hope it helps.
PS... I'm trying to conceive at the grand old age of 42, Down's is the last thing I'm worried about, I can think of a whole lot worse scenario's.. Just to get through another pregnancy would be more than I could dream of. Good luck