Down Syndrome Community
Little Girls with/ Down Syndrome/ Autistic Tendancies/ SOME STRANGE OTH...

This forum is for questions and support regarding Down Syndrome issues such as Dental Problems, Communication Problems, Developmental Disabilities, Hearing Loss, Hypothyroidism, Immune System Problems, Learning Disabilities, Joint Problems, Muscle Weakness, Respiratory Disorders, Seizures, Sleep Apnea, Weight Problems.

Little Girls with/ Down Syndrome/ Autistic Tendancies/ SOME STRANGE OTHER THINGS

Hello I am J.

I have come to ask some questions. I am an older sister to a little girl named 'JE'. Little JE has down syndrome (very high functioning) and recently has been diagnosed with autistic tenancies. These tendencies vary. Usually it's something like: You set a toothbrush down she has to move it into the place she wants it ectra. with many basic autistic things. But ever since she could speak well there have been some things that are very off.

She is belligerent constantly, it's worse than any other child with or without a disability I have ever seen (this is coming from me who has ADHD). Something so simple as 'please sit down' will turn into a 2 hour fight. Perhaps the most obvious thing is the talking to herself. Yes most people/children will talk to themselves (self talk). Unfortunately hers is very odd. She'll start it off as, "Do you want toast?" Then reply, "No, I want a carrot." Then respond back, "Carrots are stupid, your stupid!" then respond yet again, "I'm not stupid your stupid!" this will vary to the point of settling a discussion among herself and an imaginary person to a large group of imaginary people. Sometimes she'll even come tattle on herself claimed she swore, or hit and did something bad.

Within the past 6 months her logic as slowed down, she is curious like a normal child but repeats question not understanding or leaving them alone, you can show her something repeatedly for a week and then she'll forget it 5 minutes later.

No matter who we talk to they only focus on the basic down syndrome and autism. No one is willing to help us or taking it seriously. It's to the point that was can't even take her into public because of the way she acts.

So my question to you is: Do you think she has some kind of exstreme mental disability? Multiple personalities disorder? Has anyone you known have these strange habits? What could she have?
I will try to answer some of your questions, understand though, I am a mother of a DS son  . he is 38 now, plus I worked in the field of adults with disabilities for 20 years and am a RN.  As far as the toothbrush thing, that is showing independance. Give her the toothbrush and let her place it down.  As for the sitting down, try reverse physchology, tell her, don't sit down, just once and then leave. Never have a 2 hour battle with her, that is for attention.  Talking to herself, tell her you will let her alone so that she can talk and if she wants to talk to you, you will listen.  A DS child has a remarkable memory usually, use it in the training, when she is learning something, ask her to tell/show you back.  Is she around other autistic children at school, they are great copy cats, my son did this, we just didn't call attention to it and the practice faded away.  A DS child is smarter then most people give them credit for, sounds to me like she might be testing you. Ignore what you can  and give positive reinforcemnet for a good job.  A trip to a child physcologist  might be a good idea, but make sure they know who and what they are dealing with.  If she is in school, make sure the special ed teachers know how to deal with her just the way you do at home, that will create less confusion for her.  Good Luck  I do not know of any DS that has ever had a multiple personality disorder.
Thank you for your advice however I'm afraid all of you suggestion would not work on her since we have tried. But thank you so much to take the time to try and help I really am thankful.