Down Syndrome Community
Positive AFP results for Downs

This forum is for questions and support regarding Down Syndrome issues such as Dental Problems, Communication Problems, Developmental Disabilities, Hearing Loss, Hypothyroidism, Immune System Problems, Learning Disabilities, Joint Problems, Muscle Weakness, Respiratory Disorders, Seizures, Sleep Apnea, Weight Problems.

Positive AFP results for Downs

I received the call today that my second trimester AFP screening results came back 1 in 87 for downs syndrome. I am going to have the amniocentesis done but i am scared out my mind and for my baby. Are these numbers high?
Hi, any threat to our unborn baby is a shock and you're bound to be scared. 1 in 87 doesn't seem so bad to me as my baby was a 1 in 2. Did your scan show any soft markers? Absent nasal bone, short femur length, or nuchal fold measuring high? I know how you're feeling and please please listen when I tell you that whatever the result of your amnio, it will be ok. I know you don't believe that and you wish it wasn't happening, but there is a good chance everything is fine with your baby. When is your amnio booked for? Please let me know how you get on, I wish you well x