Down Syndrome Community
Potty training
About This Community:

This forum is for questions and support regarding Down Syndrome issues such as Dental Problems, Communication Problems, Developmental Disabilities, Hearing Loss, Hypothyroidism, Immune System Problems, Learning Disabilities, Joint Problems, Muscle Weakness, Respiratory Disorders, Seizures, Sleep Apnea, Weight Problems.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Potty training

My niece is 7 and has DS.  My brother and parents have tried everything to get her to use the bathroom and she still would rather go in her pull ups.  Even the school at this point has told us they dont know what else to do.  My brother who is a singel father of two gets very aggrevated with her and doesn't know how to handle this since she not  only goes in her pants but she will "draw pictures" with it.  We love her so much and just want the best for her. Please any suggestions?
3 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
Hello and welcome!
I can understand your situation and your brother need to keep patience. Take the child more frequently to the bathroom. If the child goes to the bathroom an average of once an hour, the child should be taken to the bathroom every 1/2 hour. Make the bathroom baby friendly. Keep a few favorite toys or books which the child can have access to while he is seated on the toilet. Music can be very helpful. Don’t be forceful. Potty training a child with special needs can be really very time consuming, laborious and frustrating. But once he’s potty trained it justifies everything. Do consult a local Pediatrician in case there is any difficulty. Hope it helps.
Best luck!
Blank
3177967_tn?1344395852
go to www.specialneedspottytraining.com GREAT TIPS ON THE SITE !!!!
Blank
Insurance pays for diapers FYI.   Give her her fav thing when she goes. Take dr advise but take diaper off so she uncomfortable in wet pants. Diapers keep wetness away.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Down Syndrome Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...