Down Syndrome Community
Prenatal marker
About This Community:

This forum is for questions and support regarding Down Syndrome issues such as Dental Problems, Communication Problems, Developmental Disabilities, Hearing Loss, Hypothyroidism, Immune System Problems, Learning Disabilities, Joint Problems, Muscle Weakness, Respiratory Disorders, Seizures, Sleep Apnea, Weight Problems.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Prenatal marker

Hi, my brother and his wife had a normal 1st trimester checkup. She is now 16 weeks pregnant and just had another ultrasound.
The ultra sound shows a gap between the base of the skull and the atlas of 3.7mm which is apparently llarger than usual.
Is this a strong down syndrome marker?
They are running maternal serum tests and debating an amneo but any informatiom you can give me in the meantime is greatly appreciatted.

Thank you
Hi, it is a higher than average measurement but usually there are other soft markers present. My daughter presented with 3.7mm but also had an absent nasal bone. From the nuchal translucency test her risk was calculated as 2:1. In my heart I already knew she had Down's but had a amnio at 28wks because the Drs told me she may have had Edward's syndrome. It's obviously a very stressful time for your family but it's not a foregone conclusion that there is a problem. I hope they get good news from their latest tests. May I just add that having a child with Down's has had a massive positive effect on my life, although from finding out I was having a Down's child to coming to terms with it, took 3 months. I was at first completely devastated. My daughter is 4 and starts main stream school on Tuesday. She is amazing! Good luck
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Down Syndrome Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Control Emotional Eating with this ...