Down Syndrome Community
SOMETHING ON THYROID
About This Community:

This forum is for questions and support regarding Down Syndrome issues such as Dental Problems, Communication Problems, Developmental Disabilities, Hearing Loss, Hypothyroidism, Immune System Problems, Learning Disabilities, Joint Problems, Muscle Weakness, Respiratory Disorders, Seizures, Sleep Apnea, Weight Problems.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

SOMETHING ON THYROID

I HAVE GREAT PANIC BECAUSE THEY FOUND SOMETHING ON HER THYROID. DOES THIS HAPPEN TO DOWN SYNDROME CHILDERN.  I GET VERY NERVOUS BECAUSE I LOST MY HUSBAND AND I KNOW THINGS LIKE THIS AND RUN. SHE IS GOING TO GET A THYROID ULTRASOUND TOMMOROW.  CAN YOU HELP UNDERSTAND THIS
Related Discussions
167426_tn?1254089835
Hypothyroidism is the most common endocrine problem in children with Down syndrome. One study showed these individuals to be 28 times more prone to congenital hypothyroidism than the general population. It is estimated that approximately 10 percent of children with Down syndrome have congenital or acquired thyroid disease. Incidence of thyroid disease in adults with this genetic disorder varies from 13 to 50 percent. Hypothyroidism can occur at any time from infancy through adulthood.

How is hypothyroidism diagnosed?

All individuals with Down syndrome should be tested for hypothyroidism at birth and at periodic intervals (at least every two years) thereafter. The indicators of hypothyroidism -- enlarged tongue, constipation, poor circulation -- are also found in individuals who are not hypothyroid, so the blood test for thyroid function is an important diagnostic test. As the thyroid hormone affects normal development of the brain, testing of infants is particularly crucial.

What treatment exists for hypothyroidism?

The thyroid hormone, thyroxin, is readily replaced through medication.

All of the DS people that I have worked with the past 30 years have been treated with thyroxin and  get along very well.  Good Luck
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Down Syndrome Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Control Emotional Eating with this ...