Down Syndrome Community
adult with behavior problems
About This Community:

This forum is for questions and support regarding Down Syndrome issues such as Dental Problems, Communication Problems, Developmental Disabilities, Hearing Loss, Hypothyroidism, Immune System Problems, Learning Disabilities, Joint Problems, Muscle Weakness, Respiratory Disorders, Seizures, Sleep Apnea, Weight Problems.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

adult with behavior problems

I have a 22 year old son who has recently graduated from highschool. He hashad a behavior problem for many years. I can not identify a precipitating event. His behavior only occurs at school. He screams, throws things, uses bad language, and at times has pushed or hit other peers. I erpeat this behavior does not occur at home. It has been a long time since he was tested for thyroid disease. Would this be top on my list to rule out?
Hi there!
As you said your son is normal at home and his behavior problems occur only in school did you try finding out if there is any factor which aggravates him to behave aggressively in the school? I think you need to have discussion with his teachers and close friends. That might be helpful. Aggressive behavior can be due to several causes like antisocial personality disorder, bipolar disorder, substance abuse, generalized anxiety disorder, stress or any personality disorder. There may be genetic predisposition or any life experience related to it. Child abuse and neglect are two common risk factors for aggressive behavior in adulthood. Hyperthyroidism can cause extreme irritability, mood changes etc but does he also have any other symptom suggesting hyperthyroidism like shortness of breath, muscle tremors, vision problems etc? Get his thyroid tests done. An appointment with a psychiatrist and mental status examination will be really helpful. Hope it helps. Do write t us again.
Best Wishes!
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Down Syndrome Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank