Down Syndrome Community
advice needed

This forum is for questions and support regarding Down Syndrome issues such as Dental Problems, Communication Problems, Developmental Disabilities, Hearing Loss, Hypothyroidism, Immune System Problems, Learning Disabilities, Joint Problems, Muscle Weakness, Respiratory Disorders, Seizures, Sleep Apnea, Weight Problems.

advice needed

My Sister who is down syndrome is showing signs of what we believe are hallucinations.   She is distressed and shouts at intervals, sometimes several times a day and sometimes only perhaps once a day.    She cannot communicate well because she is down syndrome and this is very frightening for her.   She has behaved like this since her operation five months ago.  Has anyone else had similar experiences.    We would like to know so that we can understand what she is going through.    
You need to speak to a therapist who has experience working with children w/down syndrome. Also, check with her doctor, and if she doesn't have a good enough one call around til you find one with extensive experience.

How old is your sister?

Does she speak sign language?

I personally think the best thing a family can do with a child with down syndrome especially, or any child. is to begin teaching them sign language from birth, because often a child can use that before they can speak. I've heard/seen of children as young as 6 months using basic signs for hungry and play...

when my son is born (diagnosed with D/S) I'll be teaching him Sign Language from the beginning.That way if his speech isnt developed well enough  within a year or two he can use sign to communicate any problems, fears, or worries he has.
The shouting may be because of several things, pain is one, you do not say how old she is, attention seeking is another, hearing difficulties is one also.  sign language is a must for getting through to any one that has limited communication skills. It can be done in an emergency  by using pictures and words together, DS children are not stupid, they just have a hard time communicating their needs and  frustrations.  Patience with her and spending time looking for the answers she is looking for will help.  You also did not say what the surgery was for. Most DS children have excellent cognitive powers and get really frustrated when no one understands them. Include her as much as possible in all family activities and let her know that she is loved.  leaving her alone all the time gives her nothing to relate to, help her keep busy , teach new skills and give her some things that she can work with.   will check back later with this .  
not to frighten you, but she may be having seizures. that is what my 11 year old son does. Getting a doctor to HEAR your conserns will be a nigh mare in its self.
A sleep study will answer this if she is.
A developmental doctor would listen to you.

good luck