Down Syndrome Community
confussed
About This Community:

This forum is for questions and support regarding Down Syndrome issues such as Dental Problems, Communication Problems, Developmental Disabilities, Hearing Loss, Hypothyroidism, Immune System Problems, Learning Disabilities, Joint Problems, Muscle Weakness, Respiratory Disorders, Seizures, Sleep Apnea, Weight Problems.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

confussed

yesterday I went to the dr for a ultra sound to check and see if my baby and the dr tokd me my baby has a soft spot and it mite b down syndrome and drs said his measurement was 9mm and next week I have another ultra sound with another dr and Im not sure what to think or do I hope to get good news next week has ne one else experience this
351246_tn?1379685732
Hi!
Naturally you are apprehensive. Unless there is a strong family history, and you are having the first pregnancy after 35 years of age, screening test alone will not be diagnostic of Down's Syndrome. The screening test results have to be correlated with normal averages. The alpha-fetoprotein or AFP and estriol levels are low in a Down syndrome pregnancy, so their levels would be below the average (less than 1.0 Multiples of the Median [MOM]). The hCG in a Down syndrome pregnancy would be greater than 1.0 MoM.  These results are then correlated with fetal age on ultrasound. Then the results are correlated with maternal age. If all the components are greater than 1.0 MoM, and woman is younger than 25 years, then risk is comparatively low. But in a woman 30 years or above, the risk is pretty high. On Ultrasound, collection of fluid at the back of the fetal neck, called nuchal transluceny is taken as a risk factor for Down syndrome. Having said all this—the combined results can only predict the risk—it does not say that fetus has Down's Syndrome. For confirmation amniocentesis will have to be done. Please discuss with your doctor. Take care!
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Down Syndrome Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
The 3 Essentials to Ending Emotiona...