Down Syndrome Community
down syndrom(syndrome)

This forum is for questions and support regarding Down Syndrome issues such as Dental Problems, Communication Problems, Developmental Disabilities, Hearing Loss, Hypothyroidism, Immune System Problems, Learning Disabilities, Joint Problems, Muscle Weakness, Respiratory Disorders, Seizures, Sleep Apnea, Weight Problems.

down syndrom(syndrome)

my wife is pregnent about 32 weeks. the dr just let her knows that her blood test result saying that the baby might have down syndrom (syndrome). is any body know any thing about this please share with me cause me and my wife so stress out. thank you
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello!
Down’s syndrome is a chromosomal disorder seen in approximately 1 in 800 live births. Children with Down’s syndrome have mild to moderate learning disabilities, developmental delays, characteristic facial features; low muscle tone etc.There may be associated gastrointestinal problems and heart defects. The spectrum of Down’s syndrome can range from mild to severe. It is caused by the inheritance of three chromosomes 21 so also called trisomy 21. High maternal age is a risk factor for having a child with Down’s syndrome. Such children need special education programs, early intervention, physical therapy, occupational therapy and screening for other associated disorders etc.  Most adults with Down’s syndrome live independent lifes.They are successful in relations and work. Discuss your concerns with your doctor and if you are in doubt seeking second opinion will help. Do write to us again with more queries. Hope you find this information useful.
Best luck!
thank you for sharing the informationn. today we just went to the doctor for the ultra sound and the result was good, acxept for in the back of the baby head has the dark mark,the dr said that was some kind of the fluid more than the normal. he want to do another test to make sure but we said no. we happy with the way it is. i just give it to god .once again thank you doctor.