down syndrome
so I had my blood taken and tested for down syndrome and got a call back that it came back abb normal...im very scared..I also had a sonagram at 20 Weeks after the doc told me that and she said the sono looked good so idk..I go to the specialist tomoro n see what they say im very scared n worried..have any of u ladys had results come back ab normal and everthing be okay..
Hi!
Naturally you are apprehensive. Unless there is a strong family history, and you are having the first pregnancy after 35 years of age, screening test alone will not be diagnostic of Down's Syndrome. The screening test results have to be correlated with normal averages. The alpha-fetoprotein or AFP and estriol levels are low in a Down syndrome pregnancy, so their levels would be below the average (less than 1.0 Multiples of the Median [MOM]). The hCG in a Down syndrome pregnancy would be greater than 1.0 MoM.  These results are then correlated with fetal age on ultrasound. Then the results are correlated with maternal age. If all the components are greater than 1.0 MoM, and woman is younger than 25 years, then risk is comparatively low. But in a woman 30 years or above, the risk is pretty high.

On Ultrasound, collection of fluid at the back of the fetal neck, called nuchal transluceny is taken as a risk factor for Down syndrome. In your case its probably not there. So this further reduces the risk. Having said all this—the combined results can only predict the risk—it does not say that fetus has Down's Syndrome. For confirmation amniocentesis will have to be done. And yes, this often rules out Down’s Syndrome in the baby. Please discuss with your doctor. Take care!