Down Syndrome Community
hair loss , hypothyroidism and DS

This forum is for questions and support regarding Down Syndrome issues such as Dental Problems, Communication Problems, Developmental Disabilities, Hearing Loss, Hypothyroidism, Immune System Problems, Learning Disabilities, Joint Problems, Muscle Weakness, Respiratory Disorders, Seizures, Sleep Apnea, Weight Problems.

hair loss , hypothyroidism and DS

Hi, my little brother was bron with Downs Syndrome, hes now 9. About 1 year or so ago he started to lose his hair, the docs said it was alopecia and that theres not much they can do.  So now hes totally bald.. The whole family was shocked at first but have since got used to it, He has hypothyroidism also.. Im wondering if any1 has advise, could it be the thyroid causing the hair loss or is it actually alopecia (I too have hypothyroidism so know its effects). When he was 8 months old he had open heart surgery for a heart murmur, He was a really sick baby up until he had the operation. So mom has kinda put it down to the stress his body went through when he was a baby.

I would love to think his hair would grow back. Rob had been through so much in his life.
I doubt his hair will grow back,  this is not an unusal  thing for DS adults and children, don't make a big deal about it, he probaly doesn't care one way or another, many of the adults i worked with were bald or partially bald, have several women that are bald, and none of them like wigs,  I hope he is on some type of medication for the hypothyroidism,  watch his weight , they do tend to get heavy, exersize will help that and also watching the diet.  Alopecia is simply the name for baldness, it is a condition , not a disease.
Honestly, its not a big issue for us. We were shocked at first, not knowing what to do. At first it was hard to understand, he had a right mop of hair on his head. We dont even notice it now, lol... And he couldn care less that he has no hair. Hes as easy going. I was just thinking if it was the thyroid causing it that it could be helped with and increase or something in meds. Depending on his levels.
My son is 11 years old and he also has alopecia.  He doesn't have any hair.  No eyebrows or eyelashes either.  We took him to a doctor for awhile and then gave up.  It would grow back while using medicine and fall out again.  We're all used to it now.  If he likes hats you can get him one.  My son wears a hat everywhere now.  It keeps his head warm in winter and protected in summer from the sun.  He seems to feel undressed without his hat now.  My son also has hypothyroidism, but he takes meds for it and it is under control.  I think the autoimmune disorder that caused the low thyroid also might have caused the alopecia.  Don't know for sure, just my opinion.
Rob is 11 now, and still bald, but in the past few months his eye lashes have grown back. On both eyes... so we are not sure wht to think. Of course we are used to him having no hair now so we were shocked to see them grow back.. He had his thyroid med adjusted and since then they seem to be coming back. Its weird. not going to hold my breath though..

thanks for your comment!!!
Hi Jennifer.
I have a brother also with Downs Syndrome, who we love very much,
I would have your brother checked for Hashimotos thyroid disease, which is a thyroid auto-immune disorder, which can cause alopecia, etc....

My brother has got a thyroid nodule, on his thyroid also which can cause him to get swallowing problems.
You need to have your brothers thyroid antibodies, checked for Hashimotos.
This is a simple blood test, and can be done at the same time he has a thyroid profile.

I hope this has helped, and i hope your brother gets well soon.
My brother has brought us great enjoyment, and he also has heart problems too.
Alopecia, can also be connected to an Auto-immune condition, so these antibodies should be ruled out with a simple bloodtest.

I would really push for your brother to get tested for hashimotos, as i find we have to be there advocates , so they receive the right treatment, otherwise they get swept under the carpet,

Wishing you and your brother wellness.
Nicola
My son has DS he is 18 months w no hair now and losing eyebrows as well. I am concerned about other diagnoses. Will rejoice if only alopecia, he has been through enough.