Down Syndrome Community
help with behaviour
About This Community:

This forum is for questions and support regarding Down Syndrome issues such as Dental Problems, Communication Problems, Developmental Disabilities, Hearing Loss, Hypothyroidism, Immune System Problems, Learning Disabilities, Joint Problems, Muscle Weakness, Respiratory Disorders, Seizures, Sleep Apnea, Weight Problems.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

help with behaviour

i have a  6 year old son with downs syndrome. At the moment I am struggling with his behaviour, especially in public. At home he is an angel, no trouble at all, in fact he is very helpful. At school he is no trouble at all, BUT when in public he will not listen at all. The other day he ran off ( nearly under a car), at a friends house he ran about her house touching everything, at a group we went to he was charging about causing havoc. Just wondered if anyone had any advice, thanks
Related Discussions
I would figure out what he likes as a reward.  Then you talk to him about how proud you are that he is such a pleasure to have around at home and school. But you want him to start working toward being good boy in public and friends homes too. Take him on a short visit to a public place where your attention can be on him and talking about what you're doing. Praise him for good behavior right from the first 5 minutes. If he lasts 10 minutes praise him and give him a reward. Popcorn or whatever he enjoys. Let him hear you telling others how proud you were of him and his success of winning the reward. If he starts the behavior from the beginning of the trip, give a warning that he will not get the reward if he doesn't listen. Then at the next behavior you don't want, leave, and no reward. You can try again the same day or another day. Document for yourself how long he lasts before a behavior, so you can increase the time.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Down Syndrome Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Emotional Eating Control: How to St...