hitting
I have a son who is 23 with downs syndrome .He has started to hit we thought it was change but dont think it is , i am getting worried about taking him out he does have a support worker one day a week and has just hit him , he does have 2 alternate weeks this one he has had 3 times and does like him .He has hit his dad and me once not hard he says he cant control himself and says its his brain and has no explantion why he does it , a little while afterwards he says my brains back i feel good robert now i am going to meet his care company to see if he can get help .It is random and it scares him it like he switches off ,anybody else rexperienced this or any other advice would be welcome
Hi there,
There can be very problematic issues for family members and caregivers when dealing with a child with Down’s syndrome. A child with Downs may present with aggression whenever they are given task demands above their level of ability. It might be difficult for a person with Down syndrome to express pain or discomfort. Positive behaviors should be rewarded while negative behaviors should be addressed carefully. It is best that he seeks professional help. Consult his psychologist and discuss your concerns. Do write to me again.
Best wishes and take care!
Thank you for replying since i wrote on medhelp he has hit me and his nan he got so distressed we went to doctor last night she has refered him to a crisis team i am waiting to hear from them he also was put on medication which is making him a bit sleepy .When he hits it comes from no where and is quick and no reason just says his head hurts
My daighter is out of control with hitting and aggressive behavior. This is very difficult!
Yes it is hard , we are getting there seeing a special learning team today and he will be seeing a specialist doctor as well it is out of charcator for my son so i hope it can be sorted soon .i hope you can sort out your problem soon there is people out there and it helps to know other people are expercing same problem we thought we were on our own . would be good to keep in touch with you and to share how we are getting on and see if we can help each other if its ok with you best wishes