Down Syndrome Community
my 8 year old ds out of control

This forum is for questions and support regarding Down Syndrome issues such as Dental Problems, Communication Problems, Developmental Disabilities, Hearing Loss, Hypothyroidism, Immune System Problems, Learning Disabilities, Joint Problems, Muscle Weakness, Respiratory Disorders, Seizures, Sleep Apnea, Weight Problems.

my 8 year old ds out of control

hi there we have a beautiful 8year old ds who has changed over the past 6mths,she used to be calm,helful,now she has huge tanturms evrey day when i time her out she retalites by nippin or bitein me or kicking her 7year old brother she will do her time out then say sorry but within a hr we are bckto the same thing she does show signs of autism eg pennies in a line plays with playdough for hrs and dosent make a thing,will not interact with other children just adults,when i ask her to do simple task she stamps her feet and refuses,she has the been in the stages of puberty since the age of 3 and has male hormones in her blood but are borderline at present,she also has chronic abstructive sleep aponia to where she is ventilated at nite while she sleeps,4years ago she wouldnt accept the ventilator but now she puts on her own mask and switches on her life support so we are so proud of her and we give her a 4weekly reward outing for her excellant achievment,but this behavoir change is a worry she sits down in the pavement when we are out and even when we are in shops she has been tested for autism but they say she s fine,im at my ends wit as i dont know where my beautiful loving little girl has gone she seems so angry all the time and it breaks my heart that icant help her she has a mental age of 4 and communicates using makaton but can use some speech,anyone out there offer any advice or ideas would be much apprecaited as she is my life along with her little bro thanks
Hi!
As children with Down's Syndrome grow, they become aware of their psychological, social, mental limitations. They face ridicule, abuse, taunts in school. This can naturally initiate an anger, frustration in them. Also sleep apnea is a common problem in these children, and its quite possible that your daughter is not getting enough sleep in the right combination of deep sleep/and less deep one. This can also make her irritable.
I suggest you consult the school counselor and try and find out exactly what is happening in school. Also get a complete psychoanalysis to see if she has anger/depression due to some identifiable cause, and her IQ level tested to see if she can really cope up with her peers, needs special attention in normal school or needs to go to specialized schools. Hope this gives you some insight as to what needs to be done. Take care!
hi there thank you for getting back to me,morgan goes to a special needs school,is in a small class of about 8peers,on average morgan gets 11hrs sleep while on bipac,i have worked very hard to get her to accept the mask and with lots of sleepless nites for me we have not got morgan on all nite with a few breaks inbetween which her consultant is over the moon as she nows goes to sleep wearing the mask,we reward her with a day out her chice once a mnth for doing this,we know morgan does not mix well with other kids and would rather play with adults or by herself with pennies or mobilephones,morgan does not handle crowds either,we had a incident today where she bit her bro on the back for no reason,i timmed her out but when her time was up and i asked her why she was there she said dont know i had to show her what she had acctualy done,she is normally a loving little girl who loves to help but will not take no for a answer i i am stubborn an wont give in,