Down Syndrome Community
quad test

This forum is for questions and support regarding Down Syndrome issues such as Dental Problems, Communication Problems, Developmental Disabilities, Hearing Loss, Hypothyroidism, Immune System Problems, Learning Disabilities, Joint Problems, Muscle Weakness, Respiratory Disorders, Seizures, Sleep Apnea, Weight Problems.

quad test

I'm 26 wks and i got a 1:161 chance that my baby could have ds. I had another test run... the 21 test.  I haven't got my results back yet and Ihave been completely on edge and freaking out about it. Is those chances high? Should i be freaking out like i am?
I was pregnant in 2012 and did all the testing for downs and all that crazy stuff.  I had a 1 in 60 chance my little guy had downs.  I was so stressed out.  Family and husband were just driving me nuts to get a amio.  I refused to do amio because its 1 in 200 procedures not 1 in 200 chance ya know.  Anyway i worried but i knew as a new mom that he was ok and i knew it its that instinct you have carrying a child.  I was 35 weeks and sent me to london cause my OB said that my little guy was 1 month behind on his limbs.  I had my boy and he was so healthy and not one thing wrong with him.  Ya know if iwere to have another child i would say no to testing.  Its a lot of false positives. I think your baby is gonna be fine.  I know how you feel hun and ya know dont worry about it things will be fine. dont let them tests scare you plus its crazy how they have them now anyway.  hope birth is all good mine was 15 hours labour so hope yours is easier and epideral is a breeze..  good luck
Hello :)

You did good decision not to undergo on Amnio.  test. :)  Personally, I think the down syndrome test or screening should be remove and better not to offer the test or mention to the pregnant patient.. It would only bring anxiety, depression, nervousness and worry to the pregnant mother which is not good in pregnant woman.

My wife was also high risk. She has 1:67 chances. But we also decline the amnio. test because I know our baby will be fine and no DS. Our baby girl was born on July 22, 2014 without DS.  I also witness personally about the false positive case.

I can give an example of false positive cases I had witness personally.

1. My Mom gave birth to my brother and sister when she was 35 and 37 years old respectively. Both of my siblings were born without DS.

2. Seven of my female friends gave birth when they were on theirs 35, 36, 37, 38 and 40’s. All their babies were born without DS.

3. My officemate's wife was 36 and 37 years old when she gave birth to their daughters. Both have no DS.

4. Our church mate was also very high risk. She gave birth when she was 37 and 42 years old. Both her daughters have no DS.