Down Syndrome Community
quad test

This forum is for questions and support regarding Down Syndrome issues such as Dental Problems, Communication Problems, Developmental Disabilities, Hearing Loss, Hypothyroidism, Immune System Problems, Learning Disabilities, Joint Problems, Muscle Weakness, Respiratory Disorders, Seizures, Sleep Apnea, Weight Problems.

quad test

I'm 26 wks and i got a 1:161 chance that my baby could have ds. I had another test run... the 21 test.  I haven't got my results back yet and Ihave been completely on edge and freaking out about it. Is those chances high? Should i be freaking out like i am?
Hello Jones88,

Stop worrying.  I am pretty sure your baby will be fine and will never be a DS baby. :)   We've been in the same situation before. My wife cried almost everyday when we found out she is high risk for DS baby. In fact, my wife was 1:67 risks, that was even higher that yours.... Just keep praying and stop worrying.  

At first, yes, we got worried and her OB wants my wife to undergo to another test the Amniocentesis but we declined because we believed by faith that our baby will be fine.  Instead I just choose to my wife to go to Level II ultrasound though its not 100% accurate to see if the baby has DS or not but its more safer.

Fast forward, my wife gave birth last July 22 to a normal and healthy baby girl via C-section.  Having DS baby is 1 in a million. Even if the test shows that you are high risk but still the chances to have DS baby is VERY VERY low.  So, stop freaking out, just enjoy your pregnancy. Freaking and worrying will just stress you out and thats not good for the baby...  Btw, my Mom, gave birth to my brother and sister when she was 35 yrs old and 37 years old respectively. I am pretty sure my Mom was also in very very high risk back then. Both my siblings were born without DS. They are now in 20's..

If you have any question pls. dont hesitate to message me. I'll do my best to answer it. Btw, sorry about my English. It is not my first language though.  Congratulation :) just enjoy your pregnancy.