Down Syndrome Community
tapped out!

This forum is for questions and support regarding Down Syndrome issues such as Dental Problems, Communication Problems, Developmental Disabilities, Hearing Loss, Hypothyroidism, Immune System Problems, Learning Disabilities, Joint Problems, Muscle Weakness, Respiratory Disorders, Seizures, Sleep Apnea, Weight Problems.

tapped out!

I need this to be be brief and to the point.  I have a 15 year old with down syndrome. she has suffered from depression twice. She was the most wonderful child until middle school and turning 13. I have fought for inclusion for her. She has had one on ones to support her since elementary school.   We are now in high school and she uses intimidation  to bully the Administration. she hits and she has a bad additude. She tells me she does not want to be good. I am at my wits in. I am getting stressed just typing this. I love her but i need a break. I need help..... now!
Hi!
As children with Down's Syndrome grow, they become aware of their psychological, social, mental limitations. They face ridicule, abuse, taunts in school. This can naturally initiate an anger, frustration in them. Also sleep apnea is a common problem in these children, and its quite possible that your daughter is not getting enough sleep in the right combination of deep sleep/and less deep one. This can also make her irritable. In teenagers, sexual awareness too builds up a lot of tension. I suggest you consult the school counselor and try and find out exactly what is happening in school. Also get a complete psychoanalysis to see if she has anger/depression due to some identifiable cause, and her IQ level tested to see if she can really cope up with her peers, needs special attention in normal school or needs to go to specialized schools. Hope this gives you some insight as to what needs to be done. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.