596?1268106175
Down syndrome User Group
World Down syndrome Awareness Day 3-21
About This Group:

This group is for anyone and everyone who is interested in Down syndrome. Perhaps you have a child with Down syndrome, or family member. We all have questions and sometimes the best resources are each other. Hopefully this group can help if you are struggling with a diagnosis either prenatally or after birth. This group was created with the hopes of educating and helping those who want to know about Down syndrome. If however, you are struggling with a decision regarding termination, please know that the people who are here, are here because they have either chosen or accepted Down syndrome in their lives. Whatever your questions, stories or concerns hopefully we can help.

Founded by Dragon1973 on March 8, 2010
20 members

World Down syndrome Awareness Day 3-21

Just wanted to let everyone know that March 21st every year (03-21) is World Down syndrome Awareness Day.  This date was chosen specifically for Trisomy 21 because the Down syndrome genetic make up is a result of 3 copies of the 21st chromosome (instead of the usual pair).  

How will you be "celebrating" this years date?  

I am hoping that my new publication analogy "Welcome to Our House - An Analogy" will be a hit all over the world.  It is currently on some Down syndrome websites, but will be released on the magazine "Exceptional Parent" 's website for this wonderful day.  The analogy is a colourful metaphor written to give people an idea of what it would be like to find out they were having a child with Down syndrome.  The idea is similar to Emily Perl Kingsly's "Welcome to Holland", but is meant to be a new and refreshing story for today's new parent, and not meant to replace her story.  Hopefully the story educates and encompasses compassion for those who want to know more about Down syndrome.  That is my hope for this special day.

Sandi
It makes perfect sense, to make 3-21 the day to promote Ds awareness... I hadn't heard of Ds Awareness Day before, and I thank you for that information!
My hope is that your wishes for this special day come true!  ~eureka
Happy Down syndrome Awareness Day!!
Same to you Dragon1973!
Thanks Steve!
;)
Wannabe13 commented on SELF ARTIFICIAL INSEM...
Jul 15
pertykitty :) Comment
Apr 12
ss1212 joined this group
Welcome them!
Nov 21