Allergies
2 months ago, I had a severe reaction to almonds. I am 38 and this has never happened before. I actually went into anaphelactic shock. My lips swelled up, eyes swelled, stomach ache, skin/body burned, and my throat started closing. I was taken by ambulance to the ER. I was just reading symptoms for Dysautonomia and one said 'allergies'. Could this have been because of my POTS?
Cancel
3 Answers
Page 1 of 1
612876 tn?1355518095
A lot of people with dysauto also have allergies, but then again a lot of people in the general population have allergies so I don't know if any statistically significant correlation has ever been found.  Searching Pubmed and Google scholar right now, I don't see any articles about allergies in dysautonomia unless I'm missing something.

I'm not sure if that could possibly point to MCAD/mastocytosis or not.  Does anyone know if masto is ever triggered by traditional allergens?  I think this is unlikely in your case, because I don't think your symptoms present as hyperadrenergic, but I'll present the information just in case.

MCAD/mastocytosis are thought to be somehow linked to some cases of POTS:

http://hyper.ahajournals.org/cgi/content/full/45/3/385
http://www.tmsforacure.org/mastocytosis.shtml

Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
Interesting. Thank you very much for your time.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
492869 tn?1285022533
As Heiferly stated above; allergies are common in both patients with Dysautonomia, as well as in the general population.  Though patients with Dysautonomia are usually told to treat their allergies as histamine is a vasodilator.

As for Mast Cell Activation, I've only recently begun to research its connection to Dysautonomia.  Unfortunately, there isn't a lot of information available.  Though from what I have read, it does seem that anything could trigger a Mast Cell reaction.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Do you know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Answer
Post Answer
A
A
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Dysautonomia (Autonomic Dysfunction) Community Resources