Dysautonomia (Autonomic Dysfunction) Community
Allergies
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Dysautonomia (Autonomic Dysfunction) including: Postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), neurocardiogenic syncope, mitral valve prolapse dysautonomia, pure autonomic failure, autonomic instability and others.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Allergies

2 months ago, I had a severe reaction to almonds. I am 38 and this has never happened before. I actually went into anaphelactic shock. My lips swelled up, eyes swelled, stomach ache, skin/body burned, and my throat started closing. I was taken by ambulance to the ER. I was just reading symptoms for Dysautonomia and one said 'allergies'. Could this have been because of my POTS?
Related Discussions
3 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
612876_tn?1355518095
A lot of people with dysauto also have allergies, but then again a lot of people in the general population have allergies so I don't know if any statistically significant correlation has ever been found.  Searching Pubmed and Google scholar right now, I don't see any articles about allergies in dysautonomia unless I'm missing something.

I'm not sure if that could possibly point to MCAD/mastocytosis or not.  Does anyone know if masto is ever triggered by traditional allergens?  I think this is unlikely in your case, because I don't think your symptoms present as hyperadrenergic, but I'll present the information just in case.

MCAD/mastocytosis are thought to be somehow linked to some cases of POTS:

http://hyper.ahajournals.org/cgi/content/full/45/3/385
http://www.tmsforacure.org/mastocytosis.shtml

Blank
Interesting. Thank you very much for your time.
Blank
492869_tn?1285022533
As Heiferly stated above; allergies are common in both patients with Dysautonomia, as well as in the general population.  Though patients with Dysautonomia are usually told to treat their allergies as histamine is a vasodilator.

As for Mast Cell Activation, I've only recently begun to research its connection to Dysautonomia.  Unfortunately, there isn't a lot of information available.  Though from what I have read, it does seem that anything could trigger a Mast Cell reaction.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Dysautonomia (Autonomic Dysfunction) Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Emotional Eating Control: How to St...