Dysautonomia (Autonomic Dysfunction) Community
Are your symptoms better with menstrual period?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Dysautonomia (Autonomic Dysfunction) including: Postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), neurocardiogenic syncope, mitral valve prolapse dysautonomia, pure autonomic failure, autonomic instability and others.

Sorry guys out their- this ? Is just for the girls.  :)

Does anyone else have an improvement in symptoms with their period?  I have both POTS and NCS and have been very symptomatic since September.  This is all new to me but I have noticed that the first few days of my period my symptoms significantly improve and then they come back again.  Weird- because most of the previous posts refer to having more symptoms around this time of month.  
I wonder if I improve during these days as blood volume is increased?  Anyone else have an improvement?
If you are speaking to before the mense, you do have more blood then, including the lining, but when you shed the blood, it is not uncommon for those menstruating to wind up becoming iron deficient, which can aggravate tachycardia.  I noticed (prior to complete hysterectomy) more migraine activity around the time of month and don't recall any improvement with my P.O.T.S..   Do you retain a lot of fluid like some women do in relationship to their period?  I had a gyn who told me she had some patients who would change pants sizes during that time.  If you do, perhaps that could account for why you are feeling better around your time?
Yes, I usually gain about 5 lbs and have edema during my period.  The edema is in my legs/ ankles.  So maybe it is the fluid retention preventing the pooling in my legs not increased blood flow.  Thank you for your insight.    
I'm only guessing, but you're quite welcome!  
Sorry, I'm on something to prevent menstrual cycles so I'm afraid I'm no help here, but LIH's insight sounds spot-on to me!  Have you talked to your doc about this?  It may give them some insight into how to better target your treatment.  If it is the edema/fluid retention that is providing temporary improvement, that might point to the potential for interventions like Rx compression hosiery and/or a fludrocortisone with salt/fluid-loading program being indicated in your case.  I definitely think it's worth discussing with your doc!!  Also, if blood pooling is a major issue, physical therapy or cardiac rehab to (safely, under medical supervision) increase muscle tone in your legs can increase skeletal muscle return of blood to the heart, which may also be of help in POTS patients with this as a predominant issue.

Best,
Heiferly.