Dysautonomia (Autonomic Dysfunction) Community
Can Prozac cause dysautonomia?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Dysautonomia (Autonomic Dysfunction) including: Postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), neurocardiogenic syncope, mitral valve prolapse dysautonomia, pure autonomic failure, autonomic instability and others.

Can Prozac cause dysautonomia?

Started taking prozac last August and in September I began to have heart palpitations, dizziness, lightheadedness, fatigue, and after five days of this I fainted coming out of a restaurant. After much testing by endocrinologist and cardiologist, heart is fine but failed a tilt table test and a cardiologist diagnosed me with dysautonomia and prescribed midodrine and lopressor.  Went to Vanderbilt in March and testing was inconclusive. They want me back in June for more testing including to repeat the tilt table test.  The doctor at Vanderbilt said sometimes Prozac can mess with blood pressure and she insinuated that might have caused my problems.  I weaned myself from Prozac and I'm much better--I even stopped taking my midodrine.  Could Prozac have caused all this? I'm seriously considering cancelling June Vanderbilt appt due to the expense and the fact I'm feeling better.
I don't know if Prozac can cause it, but a number of years prior to my being be diagnosed with I.S.T. and P.O.T.S., I took that drug for a time, prescribed by a neurologist as a migraine preventative.  Currently, I am not on the drug, but I still have have orthostatic tachycardia, get light headed, and fatigue.  I had never heard that before about Prozac!  How's it supposed to mess with blood pressure?
Hi I am not sure about dysautonomia in general but the link below takes you to a list by Dr. Blair Grubb stating medications that can cause or worsen Orthostatic Intolerence:

http://circ.ahajournals.org/cgi/content-nw/full/117/21/2814/TBL1189801

I think Prozac is not a Tricyclic antidepressant, I think it is a SSRI.  
I have been on prozac since the mid 1990's for PTSD and never had any indication of dysautonomia until June of last year.  I don't think prozac is a cause for my dysautonomia.  BUT that is me.  You could be completely different.  I do know that my wife has, in the past, taken some of the same drugs I do now.  They caused miserable side effects for her and, apparently, none for me.  Everyone is different.  I think it is best to consult your doctor.