Dysautonomia (Autonomic Dysfunction) Community
Connection between Lyme Disease and Vasovegal Syncope

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Dysautonomia (Autonomic Dysfunction) including: Postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), neurocardiogenic syncope, mitral valve prolapse dysautonomia, pure autonomic failure, autonomic instability and others.

About a year ago I had lyme disease in my spinal fluid and brain and at the same time developed Tackycardia and Vasovegal Sncope and nerological problems.  Doctors have told me that usually a virus will cause neurocardiogenic syncope but some bacteria have been know to cause it too.  My doctors believe that my Lyme Disease caused my syncope episodes.  I never used to have them before getting the disease.  Has anyone ever expirienced it or know of any connection i have reserched it only have found one medical journal making a link and it said it is extreamly rare but has happend.
Hi There,
I was recently diagnoxed with NCS (Vasovagal Syncope) too and am very interested in what you find out.  I have just started to try to figure out how I ended up with it.  Till now, I've just focused on finding out what it is and trying to find a treatment.  My Cardiologist told me Friday that it wasn't something he came across alot which I found surprising.  Since I found so much about it, I didn't think it was rare, but I guess ALOT of people don't have it.

My working theory for me was that it is connected with my two weight loss surgeries because damage or disturbance of the vagus nerve is well documented.  I have yet to find anything documenting a link to NCS.  Can I ask, did you have to subscribe to any medical journals?  I've hit dead ends researching because a fee is involved and I wasn't sure anything would even come of it.  Like Lymes, weight loss surgery is kind of one of those things where not everything about it is know.  I had a form or WLS that is not common which makes it even harder.  My surgeon isn't exactly sure of everything that can develop.  

Sorry you are having the problem too.  My niece is going thru the wringer with Lymes right now...oral antibiotics haven't worked so all Summer she's been on IV ones...which insurance isn't covering.  It's amazing :(  
Stephanie
I found a journal connecting Lyme with Vasovagal Sncope but you have to pay to read it and i didn't.  Apparently many things can cause it but more commonly caused in women wich they believe is because of hormones.  Most commonly a virus like meningitus will cause it but any virus can effect the nurves.  It is extreamly rare to see a bacteria cause it because most bacteria don't eat away at tissue or nurves and attack blood cells instead but Lyme does.  I'm the only person I know who has what I have so it can't be too common.  

I know that it can be worst in the summer because of the heat and you should stay very hydrated and increase your salt intake but ask your doctor first.  

I had no warning...just wont up one day and started fainting while standing.  It's very weird and multi-symptom and baffles my doctors.  My nerologist seems to know more about it then my cardiologist.  I would go see a good nerologist because from what i noticed a cardiologist seems to keep doing cardiac workup that comes up normal.  My heart is fine...and most of the test are done lying down.  I usually make doctors check my blood pressure standing up too now.  

I did have an eating disorder when i was a teenager but I didn't develope Syncope episodes till i was 26.  My doctors blame it on the herbal suppliments to weight loss I used to take when i was younger.  One of my cardiologist believes it is from the birth control pills i used to be on untill i started my syncope episodes.  There is a connection with Yaz and other birth control drugs.

Maybe you developed a virus after weight loss surgery or during the hospital.  It seems to me I am super sensitive to heat, prolong standing, and dehydration now.

Good luck
Hi again,
Thanks for the additional info.  I think I am going to have to consult a nuerologist.  So much to consider about why we got it!  Funny you should mention hormones...I think I'm starting pre-menopause and I was on Depo-provera for about 10 years, but that was over 10 years ago.  It's just mind boggling to try to figure it out.  I guess it doesn't matter how we got it, we have to deal with it now.  I am interested in what caused it only to see if that has a key to treating it.  

You're not on Midodrine are you?
Stephanie
They just put me on it two days ago.  The hospital wanted me on it and my nerologist wanted me on it but my cardiologist said no.  Resently ive been extreamly dizzy and went to my primary care doctor and i fainted and hit my head on a beam.  I ended up with a hug bump on my head and a huge ER bill.  They finally put me on it but just started today so we will see...i am also on propranolol wich is a beta blocker with a migrain medicine and lorazapam for anxiety as needed.
Hi Marinella,

The only mention I found of syncope with Lyme Disease is in relation to a complication called 'carditis' (inflammation of the heart) which is associated with an arrythmia (atrioventricular block), and it is that arrythmia that causes the syncope.
Usually the syncope is self-limiting (6 weeks).
But it is not to say that your syncope is not linked to your Lyme disease in the absence of carditis.
Sometimes it is really difficult to find the exact cause.
Hopefully your syncope episodes will lessen with time.

:-)
Interesting!  I was just diagnosed with NCS after significant weight loss (no surgery, just diet and over exercising) and my PCP also found a high viral load of EBV, CMV and HHV 6.  Started antivirals 6 weeks ago and on fludrocortisone for a week.  Have been having daily symptoms after my initial black out 6 months ago.  Have any of you found ANY relief>?