Dysautonomia (Autonomic Dysfunction) Community
Could I have autonomic dysfunction

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Dysautonomia (Autonomic Dysfunction) including: Postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), neurocardiogenic syncope, mitral valve prolapse dysautonomia, pure autonomic failure, autonomic instability and others.

Could I have autonomic dysfunction

So I joined this website to start searching for some answers. I have been browsing through the different post rooms looking for something that might fit all the symptoms. I am beginning to wonder if I haven't found my diagnosis. So after browsing a coup,e websites I find that all my symptoms that I have been experiencing for years are all symptoms that lead me to believe I may have autonomic dysfunction. I emailed myself one of the links so that I can print it out and take this to my next appointment. I have these episodes where I feel like I am gonna pass out, i go from having intense ringing in my ears to not being able to hear any sound around me. I start getting really dizzy and shaky and week like I am going to pass out, at times it feels like my body is short circuiting. I have tried to explain these episodes to the doctor and they keep telling me it's all in my head. Usually within a half hour or so of laying down my body returns to normal. Does anyone experience this, I have also recently started passing out. Have started loosing bladder and bowel function? Does any of this sound similar?
First of all it is disconcerting to have this happening and not knowing answers.  A lot of us here took years to get diagnosed or partly diagnosed.  It takes a while for some things to change and manifest in full flower. I do hope you find answers.  Not  knowing is hard and it often takes a while to get a good diagnoses unless you go to one of the centers where they specialize in autonomic dysfunction like Vanderbilt, Cleveland or Mayo.

I am wondering if you have taken your blood pressure at these times and if so if you are noticing variations.Also have you noted any changes in pulse?  Tracking these things can help your primary understand what is happening.  Before I was diagnosed I tracked my BP and when I showed the doctor he could see huge variations but in my case little change in pulse.  This led to a tilt table test....then an EMG....then a punch biopsy which was practically painless.  Those tests helped lead to some of my diagnoses but it all started with tracking blood pressure and pulse rate. Also a lot of other things were checked initially like blood sugar and thyroid.   Marie
Your symptoms sound very similar to how mine started almost 2 years ago.  Sadly I have to say, they have only progressed.  It is imperative that you check your BP and pulse when this is happening.  What I know now to happen to me is that, nothing triggers my episodes.  Randomly, my heart will start to race and my blood pressure with drop.  My heart rate will be 160 while my BP is 69/50 or so.  I did have a tilt table test done that confirmed I do have Autonomic Dysfunction and I am now on a Beta Blocker and Florinef.  It helps, but does not solve the problem.  I still don't know why this has happened but it started 3 months after my second child.  Most recently within the last couple of months I have started having full blow seizures, non epileptic and am now undergoing testing to figure out why.  Most likely it is from a lack of oxygen to the brain and I have been told it is causing permanent damage.  I hope you get some answers quickly.  I saw an Electrophysiologist who diagnosed me and then sent me for further testing with a Neurologist to try and find out why...still no answer to why.  I hope you find some answers soon.
My blood pressure always ran borderline high until about two years ago. Now I struggle with low pressure. I don't know why but I seem to correlate the blood pressure thing to when the removed my ovarian tumor. But all these things have been happening over the last two years and just keep getting worse.
I hate starting out the day feeling like your arms are getting electrocuted every time you move them....Ughhh sometimes life just seems so exhausting...
It sounds like there is a definite possibility you do have dysautonomia and going to a clinic that specializes is something you may want to consider.  Also, a neurologist about your arms feeling the way they do as well as your passing out.  It must be so hard for you!

I have a sibling with the ringing ears and also vibrating head and who had things go quiet.  After a tilt table test (which they never want to go through again), diagnosed with P.O.T.S. and N.C.S. (though still could hear).  Blood pressure dropped to 47/29.  Taking midodrine but still having significant problems.  Lack of blood to the head is suspected to be causing the ringing ears and vibration.  Not anemic, but you should get checked for that with CBC and full iron panel if you haven't been to see if you are.

I have dysautonomia- diagnosed with I.S.T., P.O.T.S. (inappropriate sinus tachycardia and postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome, irritable bowel syndrome, etc..

Yeah I had another full blood work up done last week. Waiting to see if they found anything.
oh yes it sounds familiar; like many others it took until I was 42 to get a diagnosis...

before that from age 9 on my symptoms were blamed on wanting attention, anxiety, stress, over exercising ,not exercising; low glucose even though mine was fine when tested, not sleeping etc etc

I have such a long list and mix of disorders that its a bit confusing when I see a new doctor; some have tried to say they never heard of Dysautonomia and I give them my info on it to educate them...

hopefully you find some answers and get a diganosis so you can try treatments and see what works for you...for me nothing has worked so far...I keep hoping to find something that helps
It just gets so frustrating at times. All my blood work came back normal. So now off to get an MRI. It seems like I have had every test under the sun ran and they all have came back normal. Which I won't complain about that since there is a family history of aneurysm's.  
Do any of you guys wake up in the middle of the night from extreme sweat attacks? I have them several times a night sometimes.
I don't usually wake up because of the sweat, but I have woken up wet with sweat a lot of times.  Back in kindergarten, I had problems with sweating heavily with sleeping at nap time in school.  The teacher was concerned and thought I needed cod liver oil.

Let us know the result of your MRI?