Dealing with Summer Heat
I haven't been on in a long time and have a new user name. (I think my old one was laurab2818).  There's some brain fog -- I'm not even sure that was my user name. Anyway, I've been wanting to spend more time here but have moved, divorced, and been caught up in all that for the last couple of years...

I have had worsening of POTS and migraines with the intense heat wave this year. I am in upstate NY and only have a/c in my bedroom.  Worst symptoms have been dizziness, shortness of breath, crushing fatigue, migraines, overall pain, more brainfog.  On the days that are less hot, I am doing okay, still have to rest, but can do most of the things I need to do, including walking for exercise.

I'm considering getting some of the cooling devices, such as wrist or neck band for hot days. Maybe a cooling vest....  Has anyone had success with these and if so, what brand has been good?  It would be nice if wrist or neck band was good. I think I'm more likely to use something like that than a vest, plus less costly.....

Thanks for any suggestions...

Laura
Hello again, summer heat gets us good doesn't it? If you go to the MS forum, there is a lot of info on cooling vests and trickc to beat the heat since MSr's have the same issue for different reasons. Just do a search on cooling vests and you will all of the posts associated with that.

I've read the vest does work well, as do neck ice packs, etc.

Let me know if you can't find what you're looking for.

Marell
Most POTSy's I know like the coolsport. There's also a great little towel called Frogtogg, that you can wrap around your neck, put over your face, lay on your chest, etc. They are sold at sporting good stores. You put them in some warm water, it activates the cooling, and stays cool for hours. It helped me attend some of my son't baseball games. Another simple trick is to use some ice. And of course, stay hydrated!
Hey Laura,

I've been away due to life and health as well. Great to see a familiar face!

I use phase change cooling packs, but eschew the vest and just tuck them into a snug camisole under my shirt and switch out as needed-seems way less noticeable than a bulky vest, plus they work better for me closer to my skin. You can buy the phase change packs sans vest as ” replacement” packs from a few different online vendors. If you do, shop around because prices can vary widely as can the shape and size of the packs. You can also buy round ones made to fit in construction helmets and wear them in the summer under shade-providing hats. They re-freeze in the fridge or in cold water (perfect if you're already toting a cooler for drinks on a hot day for a picnic, etc.)