Diabetic peripheral neuropathy
Here's some news from the front lines (the bleeding edge of research, so to speak) on diabetic peripheral neuropathy.  This may be relevant to a few of our community members so I thought it would be appropriate to share:

http://www.physorg.com/news203337267.html

I do not know if there might be any implications from this research on other forms of peripheral neuropathy.  
Thanks for posting this link.  This drug looks very promising.  My guess is they will find this also helpful for neuropathy outside diabetes so it well may hold potential for many people.

On the same page was a reference to another article linking high triglycerides to neuropathy in diabetics.  I found this of interest too.  While I am not diabetic, I seem to have a familial combined hyperlipidemia and very high triglycerides.  I am developing neuropathy in my feet and am seeing someone about this in a few weeks.   I just think so much is intertwined.  Especially since I recently found out my free T3 is low.  Low thyroid also promotes high cholesterol... so getting as much in order as I can will go a long ways I think.  

Anyway thanks for posting! Marie  
Marie,

Thanks for pointing that reference out, I need to go read that!  I, too, have hereditary high triglycerides!  Are you taking medication for it?  I'm on simvastatin (zocor).  I think my levels are in the normal range now that I'm on medication.  I can't remember, have you had a QSART?  Mine was a little abnormal, so I want to see if I can get a skin biopsy next time I'm at Cleveland Clinic to assess small fiber neuropathy.  If symptoms are any indication, I think things in that aspect have been getting worse for me since I had my testing done over a year ago.  

My thyroid levels have only been abnormal once, and since they went back to normal it's not something we've really paid attention to.

Does diabetes run in your family at all?  Type II diabetes runs VERY heavily on my mother's side of the family, so I'm concerned that that's sort of a ticking time bomb for me.

-Heiferly.