Dysautonomia (Autonomic Dysfunction) Community
Dr. Charles R. (Randy) Thompson

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Dysautonomia (Autonomic Dysfunction) including: Postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), neurocardiogenic syncope, mitral valve prolapse dysautonomia, pure autonomic failure, autonomic instability and others.

Dr. Charles R. (Randy) Thompson

I don't have a question, but wanted to share some information with the members of this site.  Dr. Charles R. (Randy) Thompson, specializing in Dysautonomia, has recently opened his new office.  The Center for Autonomic Disorders is located at 6706 N. 9th Avenue, Suite A-3, Pensacola, Florida, 32504.  His telephone number is 850-476-8200 and his fax number is 850-476-8282.  His website is autonomicdisorderscenter.com

For anyone unfamiliar with Dr. Thompson, he is a board certified physician specializing in Internal Medicine.  He was diagnosed with Dysautonomia in 1998 and went back to train with Dr. Cecil Coglan at the University of Alabama-Birmingham to be able to treat other patients with Dysautonomia.  He has been seeing Dysautonomia patients since 2000.  Since he also suffers from the many symptoms of Dysautonomia, he has a limited practice and focuses mainly on Orthostatic Hypotension, Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome and Neurally Mediated Syncope but does see patients with other autonomic disorders.  

He has been my doctor since 2002, and I can't say enough good things about him.

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to post on this forum.
Awesome! I wish I lived close to Florida!!!! Having a doctor who has personal experience with dysautonomia would be invaluable. Thanks for sharing! :)
Do you have any information on what testing equipment Dr. Thompson has access to at his facility or via any hospital affiliation?  [e.g., TTT, QSART, TST, Valsalva, Heart rate variability, Radionuclide hemodynamic testing, Pupillary testing, Sympathetic skin response, cold pressor, cardiopulmonary stress testing, gastric emptying study, transcranial doppler (on TTT), Plasma NE (on TTT), etc.]

If you have any information on what type of testing facilities he has access to or could obtain this information, it would be helpful.  This is often one of the factors in consideration when patients choose a physician/hospital for diagnosis; of course for ongoing treatment it's not an issue really.

Dr. Thompson has a small office and his testing equipment on premises is limited to his stethoscope and blood pressure cuff.  His diagnosis is based on patient interviews, blood pressure readings, pulse rates, tilt table test results and his specialized training and expertise in recognizing the symptoms of Dysautonomia.  No additional equipment is required in his practice focus area of Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome, Orthostatic Intolerance and Neurally mediated syncope. The tilt table testing is done at two local hospitals.
Thanks so much for the follow-up information!
I am also a patient of Dr. Thompson.  I travelled 8 hours from Clearwater, FL to see him.  He spent 5 hours with me and my husband as we drank lots of water and both had our boots up on his desk- to help w blood flow.

I've never met a doctor like Randy.  He has an amazing knowledge of Dysautonomia from both the doctor and patient perspective and has been so helpful in expanding my knowledge of POTS, NMS and treatment options that I should consider.

Because of his condition he sometimes is difficult to reach and may have to postpone an appt.  But this is well worth it as consulting with a doc who is currently dealing with brain fog, migraines, fainting, etc. is an experience everyone with Dysautonomia should get to have at least once.
so glad your experience was better than mine.  After a couple of months of no returned phone calls, weeks in between email responses from his staff and an ignored request for my medical records, I finally got an email from his staff apologizing for taking so long and asking if I still needed my records.  By that time, I'd already driven out of state, been tested and diagnosed and was on treatment.  Nothing beats having a doctor you actually have access to.  Good luck to you all.
Thank you SO much for posting this helpful information!!! :)
I am SO excited to read this! I have been diagnosed with POTS back in February, and I attend Pensacola Christian College. Dr. Thompson is literally a 5 minute drive from my campus. I'm praising God that he has great reviews! I've never been so excited about a doctors visit in my life!!!
Do you know if he takes patients with no medical insurance. I can't get anyone to help me with my care and I believe this has been my issue since my daughter was born 9 years ago.No one has ever been able to understand why I hurt & feel bad all the time and when I started having the dizzy spells and couldn't remember the names for common objects it got worse. I see a cardiologist but I do not think he is going to help me either. He just thinks giving me a pill to control my blood pressure helps me and that is that.