Dysautonomia (Autonomic Dysfunction) Community
Dysautonomia & Lyme/tick borne ilness

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Dysautonomia (Autonomic Dysfunction) including: Postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), neurocardiogenic syncope, mitral valve prolapse dysautonomia, pure autonomic failure, autonomic instability and others.

Dysautonomia & Lyme/tick borne ilness

I am wondering if someone can direct me. In October of 2013 out of the blue I started having trouble getting my breath while 4 hours into a car drive. I am athletic and had been in good health and shape prior to the episode. Cardiac and pulmonary causes have been ruled out but I have an erratic pulse and BP (going very high and low even at rest), air hunger, light headedness and vacillating significant nasal congestion or clear passages. Physical activity I used to be able to perform without difficulty is sometimes not able to be done at all. Recently cholesterol has also elevated without a change in diet or exercise routine. I was treated for chronic lyme and tick borne illness about 10 years ago for 2 1/2 years with positive results. I was initially treated with Rifampin and Plaquenil but without much improvement. Currently on Azythromicin and Mepron as well as multiple support supplements. As things still have not had significant improvement they have started me on a compounded atomizer of several antibiotics and antifungal as well as a chelating agent. Supposively mold may have an interaction with the Lyme and this is to treat the mold. I had a bad reaction when I used all together so are ramping those up slowly at the moment. The symptoms are debilitating at times and I don't know if there is anything I can do to treat these supposed secondary symptoms to make them more bearable or should I investigate to see if they are actually primary and Lyme & mold are not the culprit. Your input is greatly appreciated! Any suggestions to who I should see are also appreciated. I live in the Metro DC area but am willing to travel wherever.   -tmama007
I'm sorry to hear about everything you've been through.  Maybe you would find it helpful to look at Horowitz book, "Why Can't I get Better" to help sort through symptoms and treatment options.  
Thank you I will find the book and start reading.
Chronic Lyme can definitely cause secondary dysautonomia. The way to improve the dysautonomia is to treat the Lyme, though symptomatic treatments for the individual symptoms of dysautonomia may be helpful INSOFAR AS THEY DON'T CAUSE ISSUES WITH THE LYME AND ANY LYME CONNECTIONS SUCH AS BARTONELLA.  

I have a close friend with chronic Lyme and dysautonomia who sees a Lyme doc in your area. I will ask for her docs info and private message it to you.
I would also be interested in receiving info. on doctors who are knowledgable about Dysautonomia and Lyme.
The doctor I have info on is in the Northern VA/DC area. I will send you that doc's info via PM. Unfortunately I don't have information on any LLMDs closer to you. *Most* LLMDs are pretty secretive about their practice because there is a lot of politics and stigma about chronic lyme disease, and crazy as it may sound, in some areas doctors can actually lose their license for treating chronic lyme. If you have lyme, you're probably aware of that situation so I'm probably not telling you anything new. If you aren't aware of that mess, let me know and I can refer you to some educational information.