Dysautonomia (Autonomic Dysfunction) Community
H1N1 Vaccine

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Dysautonomia (Autonomic Dysfunction) including: Postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), neurocardiogenic syncope, mitral valve prolapse dysautonomia, pure autonomic failure, autonomic instability and others.

H1N1 Vaccine

Are you planning on getting the Swine Flu vaccine (when it finally gets here)?  Better yet, why or why not?
41%
 (5) 
Absolutely yes!
33%
 (4) 
Absolutely no!
25%
 (3) 
Can't decide
0%
 (0) 
Other?
12 Members voted
I got the regular flu not long after my dysautonomia diagnosis, and my autonomic system went crazy!  I almost ended up in the hospital.  I figure even if I don't feel well for a few days after the shot, it's better than the month it took to recover from the flu.
Because I have asthma as well as dysautonomia, and narcolepsy (which is now thought to be an autoimmune disease), I think the risks are too high for me if I were to contract H1N1.  I can only imagine some sort of miserable autoimmune/autonomic/respiratory nightmare reaction that would land me in the hospital.  And it only takes those three words to motivate Heiferly to take just about any means of avoidance necessary:  IN THE HOSPITAL.  Might as well be prison, as far as I'm concerned.  Hahaha.  

So yes, I am eagerly awaiting the vaccine.  The irony is that if I were healthy, I could have the mist right now, but because I'm sick, I'm stuck waiting longer on protection until they get more vaccine.  Sigh.
I seem to get very sick when I take those vaccines.  I am at a high risk for catching it, but every time I took the flu vaccine I have gotten sicker than when I caught it alone. I know this isn't recommended, but that is what I do.
I'm not either, my POTS started after a virus, I'm afraid to inject myself with another virus and end up in a worst scenario.  My daughter has asthma and yes that would put her and I in those that should but I cannot trust this vaccine yet, the clinical trials have been very minimal.

We are doing everything we can to remain as healthy as we can, lots of rest - good diet - vitamin C, Cold FX  and Echinacea if we think we are getting sick, washing hands as much as possible and avoiding being in crowded places and lots of praying that we won't get it!
I can understand why those with post-viral POTS would be wary of the vaccine and I can't say for sure what I would do if I were in your shoes, so I certainly don't blame you for making the decision not to get the vaccine.  That's a really tough position to be in; I hope you and your daughter stay healthy!
Thank you!  so far so good (knock on wood)  I have been feeling more tired than usual so I'm keeping to doing light duties around the house, I don't want to compromise my immune system and bang catch a cold or h1h1!

My daughter is on preventative medicine for her asthma and I'm keeping a close eye on her and her siblings.

The school has notified all parents to keep kids at home if they show any symptoms, so far no illnesses in our school, but I told the kids the moment kids don't stay home and are coming to school sick, they are to call me at home and I'll take them home as I don't want to take chances.

We are obviously keeping our options open, if we see that the% of cases is dramatically increasing and there are vaccines available then we will but for now we just wait....

Good luck to those that have taken the vaccine and let's hope that we can all remain as healthy as possible.

Karin
I heard they didn't test very long on this one and don't want to risk it.
My son and I both did. I have asthma and we since didn't know exactly what was wrong with him at the time, I did not want to chance it. You hear about the chronically ill dying from it. We both got a shot over 3 weeks ago and didn't have any reactions from it. I have had a reaction to the regular flu shot before and haven't had one in years. My other sons are not being vaccinated.
When you do report a reaction, the doctors go into denial so that it appears that this vaccine is perfectly safe when others go researching for evidence of the vaccine's dangers. My son developed dysautonomia, a rare and potentially fatal disease, 4 hours after H1N1 nasal vaccine and all the doctors kept blaming his problems on attention-seeking. MRI of the brain showed my son has a pituitary adenoma (tumor), rare in children; there's no family history of this rare childhood tumor.