Dysautonomia (Autonomic Dysfunction) Community
Heat Sensitivity

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Dysautonomia (Autonomic Dysfunction) including: Postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), neurocardiogenic syncope, mitral valve prolapse dysautonomia, pure autonomic failure, autonomic instability and others.

Heat Sensitivity

How is everyone dealing with the summertime heat?  Can anyone offer some ideas for staying cool, and keeping our autonomic systems from rebelling?

Here are some of my ideas:
- Pedialyte freeze pops for staying cool, and hydrated.
- Taking walks in air conditioned stores, rather than outside in the heat.
- Using a refillable spray bottle with a fan for keeping cool.
This may sound "extreme" but if you did need to be out for a long period of time in the heat and you were concerned about the temperature affecting your symptoms you could use one of those "camel coolers" that bike riders use during long rides.  They are the size of very tiny backpacks.  You fill them with water and refrigerate or freeze them.  There is a small straw that flips over your shoulder to allow intake of water, but you don't have to use that if you don't need it.  The cool compress on your back should help regulate your body temperature while you are outside in the heat.  

I always bring a cold water or something cold to drink, with ice in it. Esp. under such extreme hot conditions here, you kind of have to.

It is weird. Once I adjust to the cooler temps. indoors,. I get cold and sometimes need a jacket, zip-up sweatshirt, or cardigan. Yet if I am outside long enough, I get overly hot and sweat profusely. :-\
Oh yeah, sorry for the double-post, but I find that if I my extremities are cold, the rest of my body feels cold. Finding ways to keep them warm helps to keep the rest of my body warmer as well. The same goes for heat. Cooling off my feet or hands helps cool me off. But I notice it more with cold temps.
Heat sensitivity it the worst. I have problems just entering a room that 5 degrees warmer than the outside.  Then on the job... how do I tell my manager that I can't make it to the August afternoon "team building" softball game, because the 90 degree weather makes me weak?  ...sigh. Heat sensitivity sux.
sorry about the spelling errors.
Heat is devestation to me espeically when combined with humidity in South Florida in the summer. I also have B-19, severe Fibromyalgia and severe Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. They are progressing as I get older near 60.