How long for compression stockings to work for dizziness
My doctor insists my constant dizziness is due to orthostatic hypotension. I'm dizzy all the time. She said my blood is pooling when sitting so that is why I can get overcome with dizziness at the computer. I've used thigh high compression stockings 30-40 (Juzo), but notice no difference. However, I don't wear them consistently. Do I need to wear them for a few weeks every day to see a difference? I don't faint, but am always dizzy. I also just ordered Jobst sheer in 30-40. But I wonder if I really need 40-50 - I don't want to go that high if not necessary. I need to get a new pair today. I was going to try the Ames-Walker as they are really inexpensive. Does anyone have experience with those? Thanks, Susan
Hi there :-)

Compression stockings has been a popular thread - Here is the link to it

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Dysautonomia-Autonomic-Dysfunction/Compression-stockings/show/936330

Hopefully it will answer your questions. If not let us know :-)
If you have "true" orthostatic hypotension (a sustained decrease of >20/10 mmHg when upright), it may be the case that compression stockings alone aren't enough to ameliorate your symptoms.  You and your doctor may need to work together through a process of trial and error to find the right combination of lifestyle changes and possibly medication(s) to find the best solution.

I say "true" orthostatic hypotension because there are many patients who have orthostatic intolerance (symptoms in the upright position) despite perhaps having a postural drop in BP that isn't substantial enough to meet the diagnostic criteria of 20/10 mmHg.  

Here's the Mayo Clinic's treatment page from their article on OH which might give you a general idea of treatment options:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/orthostatic-hypotension/DS00997/DSECTION=treatments-and-drugs

Here's our (perpetual work-in-progress, pardon our dust) treatment page for dysautonomia in general—this is for all forms of dysautonomia, so of course many of these meds would not be appropriate for OH per se:

http://www.medhelp.org/health_pages/Neurological-Disorders/Dysautonomia-Treatments/show/171?cid=196

If you surf around the Mayo OH page and have any questions about other information on there (such as diagnostic tests that you have or haven't had), feel free to ask away.  We have plenty more information.

Best,
-Heiferly.
Thanks so much. I'm seeing Dr. Rey in Miami at the Chronic Fatigue clinic. When sitting, my bp was 118/70. After standing for about three minutes, it had dropped to 90/50 and I began to feel really dizzy and ill. But I'm dizzy all the time. It's all so confusing. I've had so many tests and thankfully, all are negative so far. But this dizziness is driving me nuts.

So my question is still: how long until I would know if these stockings are working? I would think it would be right away, but maybe not. I'm also wearing this elastic support thing tight around my abdomen. It's all so uncomfortable, but I'm willing if it helps relieve my dizziness. I feel so frustrated.

Thanks,
Susan