Dysautonomia (Autonomic Dysfunction) Community
I'm afraid i have dysautonomia

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Dysautonomia (Autonomic Dysfunction) including: Postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), neurocardiogenic syncope, mitral valve prolapse dysautonomia, pure autonomic failure, autonomic instability and others.

I'm afraid i have dysautonomia

For the past 3 weeks. I've been feeling very weak,tired,short of breath,lightheadedness,fast heartrate. When i try to go up stairs my heart rate jumps up i get dizzy and out of breath. After eating big meal twice i've gotten really lightheaded. I can't sing whistle without getting really lightheaded and short of breath. I did have an alchol problem i'm sober 2 months now. I've been on a diet the past 2months, i pushed myself to hard i think. But now i'm eating more and exercising less. My doc said my vitamin d was really low and potassium a little. So i'm taking vitamin d for the past 2 weeks. I have an anxiety disorder, but these symptoms do feel like anxiety, i've had anxiety for 15 years and never experienced this. My doc tried the poor mans tilt table test and my blood pressure and heart rate was fine. I don't know what to do, and i don't feel good. Any advice would be nice.
Congratulations on your sobriety!  You might want to eat smaller meals or go less on the starches and heavier on the vegetables (half the plate) as large meals often can make your heart work harder.  

Low potassium can make you feel weaker than usual and low vitamin D can make your muscles feel weak.  Did the doctor prescribe supplementation for that or advise you what dietary measures you need to take to raise your potassium level?  Did he/she order follow-up lab testing for your vitamin D and your potassium?  

Did your doctor check a complete blood count, check your thyroid function and check your vitamin B 12 levels (lab tests)?   Did he/she order a lipid panel on you to find out about your bad cholesterol, triglycerides, etc? If so, were they all within normal range?  Have you noticed any blood in your stool or in your urine (possible causes of anemia)?  Have you been getting a sufficient amount of iron in your diet?

You might want to ask your doctor about an event monitor- if these events happen every day even though it didn't happen that one time at the doctor's, you might be able to make it a 24 or 48 hour one, if these jumping heartrates with dizziness and shortness of breath don't happen on a daily basis, you might ask about a 30 day monitor.

Exercise is good for the body and mind, endorphines being released.  If you can't tolerate exercise well while standing at the moment, you might try using a recumbant bike, building up slowly the time you spend on it.

Are you getting counsel from your pastor if you are a Christian/are you in  small group where you are getting fellowship & prayer support?  
Thank you for your response. He said my potassium was a little low and to eat more bananas, my vitamin d is very low and and to take 50,000 ius a day i think, which i'm concerned taking son much. Ive been taking 1000 a day for 9 days. And getting sun light 15 mins a day. I'm think he did a full body count, not sure though. I've been taking b12/b6/folic acid pill for 2 years every day. I'm able to go on the treadmill for about 20 mins, but nothing faster then 3.0 miles an hour and no incline. This morning had to go to the store and got really light headed and felt really week carrying cases of water in the car. Went to cvs next door, and bp was 157/89. The past 2 months i've been eating healthy and exercising every day. I do believe in god and pray often. I have not been to church in a long time. I went to a catholic school for elementary and christian for middle school and high school. i don't know what title to give my self, but i think going to church and getting a support group would be helpful although i've got really bad social anxiety I'm on dissability because of it and kind of depressed because now i'm physically disabled right now God willing temporarily. Thanks again for your response!
It sounds like he was a bit lax on the potassium issue.  Let me send you something via PM which will give you more info on potassium rich foods and also about a place where you might find interaction helpful where you can communicate via computer, also probably could get recommendations of some solid churches in your area where you might get some support!  

Your doctor should have given some perimeters on how long you should take a high dose of vitamin D.  I have a parent who from time to time is told to take 50,000 of vitamin D once a week for five weeks- so you might double-check with the doctor about your instructions on that.

You're able to go plently fast enough on the treadmill and twenty minutes a day wouldn't be bad or stretch it to thirty minutes but do it for five times a week instead of seven if you'd like and if you can swing it!  

That blood pressure was definitely up.  Did you have a fast pulse with it?
It might be wise if you don't already have one, to buy a home blood pressure cuff monitor (not to take too often, because that can spur anxiety) to take your blood pressure when you feel especially bad, then write them down and bring them to your doctor.  Omron is supposed to be a respected brand and it's the kind we have.

I know what it's like to be disabled, believe me.  You aren't alone and it is easy to get down about it at times.  I take Naturemade brand of SAM-e and flaxseed oil capsules and do some mild exercise, etc. for mood in addition to getting balm for my soul from God's Word and the preaching of it.
Also, you want to request copies of your lab results and put them in a notebook as well as see if he tested for numbers on those other things I mentioned.
Wow, thanks for all of your help. I did have a fast pulse as well. When i physically exert myself like going up stairs or lifting something, my heart rate jumps up quickly. I've wanted to invest in a blood pressure monitor but most are kind of pricey. But at this point I think its important enough to get. I will get a copy of my results. My doctor is a cardiologist, and an internist. He seems very nice but the symptoms I've been complaining about, all he can come up with is that my vitamin d is low? I don't know about that, maybe because i have anxiety he's not giving me other tests. Anyways i check out that info. Once again thanks alot!
Yes, a lot of doctors I think may tend to overlook ordering tests  when the patient is anxious, chalking it up to anxiety.  Hyperventilating can make a person light headed and anxiety can have an affect on pulse rate and blood pressure, but you are having symptoms come with exertion,  and I think he shouldn't short change the diagnostic process and potentially miss something important in negligence.  

I think between your symptoms description and if you bring in a number of blood pressure and pulse readings prior to exertion and then readings  considerably higher after exertion, documenting what activity you were doing, he might decide he'd better order further testing or at least explain what expected excursions in pulse and blood pressure normally would be for someone in your age category with that kind of exertion.  And if they are considered normal, look into possible reasons you are getting dizzy with the activity.