Kidney Stones??
Is it true that people with POTS are more prone to kidney stones???  I read that, but wondering if anyone else has had issues.  I have had two major attacks in two weeks and hoping this isn't a new "byproduct" I have to deal with!
Thank you for your input!
Cathy
Never heard that before... where did you read it at?  At last check, I didn't have any and I've been diagnosed with POTS for about 7 years.  You might get your water tested to see if it has a high calcium content.
I'm not certain about POTS in particular; I would need to double-check that.  People with dysautonomia have a slightly higher incidence of kidney disease; if I recall correctly the difference from the "general population" that was found was slight, but statistically significant.

I myself have gone through the misery of kidney stones (ugh!) but I also have both parents having had them, so there's a hereditary factor for me as well.  One important thing to find out (if you were/are able to "catch" the stones so they can analyze them) is the constituents of the stones.  I believe a common kidney stone is made up of calcium oxylate.  If your stone has some other makeup, it can be telling as to the cause of your condition.  The majority of mine was not calcium oxylate, but the "lead" that gave the docs turned out to be a dead end, so I guess all my efforts to catch that little bugger were for naught.  Ah well, at least I got to see my foe!!

Sigh.  Looked for the article about increased kidney risk for 45 minutes and still can't find it.  Giving up for now, sorry.  I've asked a couple specialists about it and they haven't been able to give me the WHY, though I do know there have been studies about abnormal plasma renin and aldosterone activity in dysautonomia, both of which relate to kidneys, so I surmise that may be somehow related.  (??????)

Sorry you're having kidney stones!  I've missed you and I'm glad to see you around!!  I hope you're feeling better now!  :-)  Heather.
Sorry you have had to go through so much! I've never had a kidney stone but did have acute kidney failure and now have chronic kidney disease. My understanding is that it is mostly both the high and very low bps can cause this. Also, dehydration if you have stomach symptoms. I often test mildly high in calcium.
I got sick all of a sudden about a year ago, and looking back I was drinking more soda and tea at the time. I had given up social beer since my wife was pregnant and to be supportive of her, and figured soda would be my trade off. About 2 mo tha after getting sick (I figured out I had pots from reading online, the doctors I saw  initially didn 't know what was going on) I had a ct scan done when I went to the ER, and it showed a 3mm non obstructing stone, and calcium in my prostate. Only recently did I get to thinking about how this could be related since Drs dismissed this as unimportant. I have read that the body can get oxalates in the intestines, and that taking calcium may actually help to wash out the oxalates by binding to them. my intestines seem to be tied in knots all the time, and I've also read that calcium helps the smooth muscles of the intestines. Does anyone know anything about this? I'm afraid to take calcium supplements since my blood tests show me having about 10.1 and with high blood pressure, and a stone, I don't want to make things worse, but am thinking it might actually be something that helps even though it seems counterintuitive. Any thoughts?