Dysautonomia (Autonomic Dysfunction) Community
Magnesium supplements helpful?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Dysautonomia (Autonomic Dysfunction) including: Postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), neurocardiogenic syncope, mitral valve prolapse dysautonomia, pure autonomic failure, autonomic instability and others.

Magnesium supplements helpful?

Anyone tried Magnesium supplements for POTS/Dysautonomia?  Heard magnesium citrate, chelate, or glycinate might help in dose of 500 mg 2x/day.  
I haven't tried them, though I plan to next time I go to GNC.

I was wondering how all your testing went. What did you find out about your POTS? What types of meds are they adding/changing to treat your symptoms? Are you feeling any better? How is your fatigue and weakness? Glad to hear from you.
I do take Magnesium, 250mg 2X/day, along with other supplements (below)  I wasn't sure if they were helping to tell you the truth, when I started taking them I did feel better but I wasn't sure if it was just timing or what, so this past summer I stop taking all my vitamins and supplements for two months and I have had a few episodes where I've been very sick, I'm also back to feeling so tired all the time and finding it realy hard to do anything, so this week I started taking them again as I now do beleive they were doing something!

This is what I take:

120mg Coenzyme Q-10
500mg Vitamin B5 (Panthothenic Acid)
1000mg Vitamin B12
500mg Magnesium
2500mg Ester C Plus (it also contains 300mg of Calcium)
900mg Iron (I had very low ferritin)
50mcg Vitamin D

Now for herb stuff I was also taking:
GSF Complex 3X/day, it is a vitamin-mineral supplement that re-energizes the adrenal glands, the brand is from Seroyal, I found this site that sells it, but this is what it said so you know more about it: GSF Adrenatex provides adrenal cortex and whole adrenal medulla extracts along with synergistic nutrients necessary for the support of the adrenal glands during periods of stress. Deficient kidney mineralization and function, overuse of stimulants, environmental pollution and stress contribute to adrenal toxicity and exhaustion, leading to adrenal atrophy. Serious adrenal dysfunction can cause electrolyte and carbohydrate metabolism imbalances, resulting in circulatory collapse and hypoglycemia. GSF Adrenatex is indicated for symptoms associated with stress and adrenal exhaustion, including allergies, chronic fatigue syndrome, hypoglycemia, asthma, hemolytic anemia, hypotension; and for premenstrual symptoms such as depression, irritability,mood swings, sugar cravings and bloating.The capsules are 100% pure vegetable-sourced  http://www.easyhealthzone.com/GSF_Complex_60_Capsules_p/se0082.htm   Now I got it from my Naturopath, I gues you should check first with your doctors to make sure it would be ok for you.

Once I relapsed, my Naturopath had put me on 300mg of Rhodiola, again this is for the adrenals, although if read about Rhodiola it helps a whole bunch of things, here is the link, and the company that makes the one I take http://www.aor.ca/html/products.php?id=114

The GSF and the Rhodiola I'm NOT taking this time around, I'm going to try just all the supplements first and see how I feel, if I'm still not well then I'll start taking them again.

As for the magnesium, it helped me with light sensitivity and sleeping, I still don't sleep the best but when I was taking it I was sleeping better, I usually wake up 4-5 times a night, when I was on it I was only waking up 2-3 times a night, I also take the magnesium in the evening, not sure if that makes a difference or not.

Good luck and let us know if the magnesium helps you in any way.

Karin
Isn't magnesium citrate a laxative?  Other than that, I really don't know anything about magnesium, and even that I could be wrong about.  Maybe there are different magnesium citrates?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnesium_citrate

Scratch that, this next article talks more about the link between different forms of magnesium and laxative effects/diarrhea, and I think makes it a little more clear.  (From the sounds of "sustained release supplements prevent the occurrence of diarrhea," you may want to look for those unless you're one of the dysauto folks that suffers from IBS-constipation anyway):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnesium_in_biology

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful than tossing up wikipedia links on this one; I don't have any personal experience with it because I'm always just hypokalemic so I take prescription potassium.  I've never had problems with my magnesium show up in any of my labs so I've never worried about that one.  Let me know if you try it and you see any major changes from it.