Dysautonomia (Autonomic Dysfunction) Community
Mental health and dysautonomia

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Dysautonomia (Autonomic Dysfunction) including: Postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), neurocardiogenic syncope, mitral valve prolapse dysautonomia, pure autonomic failure, autonomic instability and others.

Mental health and dysautonomia

We all know that various forms of dysautonomia are sometimes misdiagnosed initially as anxiety or other psychological/psychiatric problems before the proper diagnosis is pinpointed, but all that aside, having a chronic illness is far from stress-free.  How would you rate your mental health these days?  (Feel free to post explanatory comments!)
33%
 (3) 
Anxiety/panic, but mostly from the physiological symptoms of dysauto.
55%
 (5) 
My main source of anxiety is dealing with doctors (also, insurance companies, disability claims).
0%
 (0) 
Actual anxiety disorder, depression, or other mental health dx.
11%
 (1) 
My mental health is pretty good right now.
9 Members voted
I have all of those problems. My phsychiatrst said I'm having anxiety or panic attacks, when really it is tachycardia(160 every morning). I'm seeing a GP, cardiologist and EP. This is also a source of anxiety, as you said. Nobody seems to have a diagnosis(maybe Dysautonia) and I have coflicting advice about my medicines from all of them. My mental health is stable right now, but I swear I'll be depressed if I don't get help for this chronic fatigue from the low BP and HR every day.
I have physiologic panic attacks. Anxiety about meds, and doctors. Severe reactions to meds before cause anxiety now. Stress about insurance, and money. I take 10mg prozac. I take .25 klonopin prn. My anxiety is because of autonomic dysfunction.
I find it regrettable that these polls don't allow for multiple answers.  I, too, would have more than one response.  I get physiological anxiety when I have flushing episodes/hot flashes (I'm presuming that's norepinephrine, but my levels have never been tested).  

I would say, on a non-physiological level, my #1 source of anxiety that keeps me tossing and turning at night is getting irked at situations with various doctors.  I can't count the number of times I've lost sleep over something a doctor has said (usually trying to write off one of my symptoms as stress/depression/psychosomatic when I know that's not the case); the sad part is that I end up losing sleep over it *pointlessly* because eventually things ALWAYS work out and either some test vindicates me and the doctor is proven wrong and has to eat humble pie or I hit my breaking point and leave that doctor and find a new one and ultimately ... the new doctor finds some test that vindicates me and the old doctor is proven wrong and even though s/he doesn't ever know it, I still have the satisfaction of knowing I was right.  I hope someday I can get to the point where I can just let that stuff roll off my back without stressing me out; I'm definitely not there yet.

I do have OCD as well, but ativan works well to control it for me.  Honestly, I'd say that overall, I'm pretty happy most of the time.  If only I had a rewind/delete button to edit the content of overly stressful moments in life ...  ;-)
While I don't experience outright panic attacks, I definitely have my share of anxiety.  Though my "norepinephrine rushes", (for lack of a better term), seem to be well controlled at the moment.

Most of my anxiety is likely related to doctor visits, medical tests, and medications.  I'm taking a small dose of Prozac off-label for Dysautonomia.  I've noticed that it has the added benefit of easing some of my anxiety as well.

I also have ADHD, and Autism (PDD-NOS).  So, I don't always have the greatest of social skills, nor do I quite act my age.  Overall though, I'd say that my mental health is basically very good!  :)
If not for "uninformed" doctors, shrewish nurses, and constant billing errors, I would have absolutely no excitement in my life!  Seriously, though, the whole medical system has been about the only source of anxiety for me.  I can deal with something being wrong with my body, but I can't deal with it being dismissed, or with clueless medical staff not listening to me because they think they are brilliant and know everything.  It has made a huge difference to finally find some decent doctors, and I also have wised up and simply walked away from the ones that can't help.  There is always someone who can eventually.