Dysautonomia (Autonomic Dysfunction) Community
Neurocardiogenic syncope

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Dysautonomia (Autonomic Dysfunction) including: Postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), neurocardiogenic syncope, mitral valve prolapse dysautonomia, pure autonomic failure, autonomic instability and others.

Neurocardiogenic syncope

Has anyone had experiences with Atenolol (beta blocker) for Neurocardiogenic syncope?  If so, how did it work, and how did you feel taking it?  I would appreciate any information.
I had trouble tolerating Atenolol, but everyone has different reactions to medication so please don't let that discourage you.  I take another beta blocker called Toprol XL, which seems to work better for me.  Do you take anything with your beta blocker to help raise your blood pressure?  How is treatment working out for you?
I took atenolol for about 10 years for my neurocardiogenic syncope (1993-2002ish). I stopped because I had 2 episodes which were definitely not prevented, and I felt I would do better not to take the meds if they weren't working. I have not taken any meds for the last 7 years, and have had fewer episodes. mostly I think this is due to reading a lot about the condition, and following many of the guides on how to avoid situations that cause the fainting. but also maybe just from getting older.
I have fainted for almost every reason listen there, multiple times (even while eating in restaurants, hot rooms)
it's true that almost any faint can be prevented by lying down in time and putting feet up. I usually get about 5-10 min warning in my body (tingling, white hands, sweat etc), and can lie down in time.

take the meds the docs recommend though. I don't think my current non-medicated state would have worked back in high school when I was diagnosed. in fact I'm on this site thinking I may need a re-evaluation (after 15+ years), and maybe meds again after recent problems
I was just told i should go on a beta blocker but i'm so scared because of how low my blood pressure gets and my heart rate.  I understand the benefits but i'm a single mom with two kids and don't want to risk my condition getting worse instead of improving. In the mornings my BP is 88 over 50 something and the beta blocker mught make it all worse.
If you look at the date stamp on the post you replied to, you can see that this thread is what we call a "dead" thread: it's nearly five years old now. We archive our old posts for informative purposes, but encourage people to click the "post a question" button at the top of the page rather than replying to an outdated thread like this so that their questions can get the proper amount of attention.

If you can do that, that would be great! Your question is an important one and we want to make sure the community has a chance to view your community so you get a good variety of responses. Thanks so much,
Heiferly.