Dysautonomia (Autonomic Dysfunction) Community
POTS / Dysautonomia
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Dysautonomia (Autonomic Dysfunction) including: Postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), neurocardiogenic syncope, mitral valve prolapse dysautonomia, pure autonomic failure, autonomic instability and others.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

POTS / Dysautonomia

I have seen a diagnosis of “mild” POTS with several people (based on a tilt table testing) but these people exhibited extreme disability in daily functions at least 3-5 times a week.   I have also heard and read that autonomic testing results can vary from day to day and thus it is not in the best practice to label a person with mild POTS—they either have it or not.  
Any neurologists or patients out there who are familiar with POTS want to confirm or deny?

Thanks
2 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
875426_tn?1325532016
For me, someone who was diagnosed with P.O.T.S., not "mild" P.O.TS, there are days that are worse than others & times that can be worse than others within that day.  

There is a criteria for getting diagnosed with the syndrome.  You either fit into the criteria or you don't.  There are various forms of P.O.T.S. ,however , that have been identified in research & some faint who have P.O.T.S. while others, like me, don't faint in every day life (though they induced my fainting w/nitroglycerine on a tilt table).

I do think that some do suffer worse than others with P.O.T.S. if descriptions I've seen on medhelp are any indication.  I think all with P.O.T.S. will find their lives altered by it... I  know mine has been.  
Blank
I agree, POTS is POTS.  My son's heart rate sometimes only increases 25 or 28, which is below the 30 beats for diagnosis, while other times it is well over 30.  While his tests results aren't necessarily extreme, he is debilitated daily by nausea.  The symptoms don't always line up with his vitals.

So, I don't think the term 'Mild POTS' should be labeled based on test results and more so on daily symptoms and how it effects your life.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Dysautonomia (Autonomic Dysfunction) Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
How to Silence Your Inner Critic an...