Dysautonomia (Autonomic Dysfunction) Community
Pedialyte?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Dysautonomia (Autonomic Dysfunction) including: Postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), neurocardiogenic syncope, mitral valve prolapse dysautonomia, pure autonomic failure, autonomic instability and others.

Pedialyte?

Like many others on this forum, I hate the taste of Gatorade!  My parents just about forced it down my throat throughout my childhood (because of my frequent fainting), and now the mere thought makes me want to puke!

I have a PICC now thank God, but I'm still told to drink sports drinks when I'm out in hot weather.  I've been drinking Powerade lately, which is only slightly less disgusting, but I've noticed a couple people on this forum talking about Pedialyte.  Is that really an option?  How much of it can you drink?  Is it disgusting as well?  I live in the US, do I need a prescription?
A couple of months ago I had thought about buying some Pedialyte, but I ultimately decided against it.  Looking at the bottle, it almost seemed like medication.  It's available without prescription though.  I live in the USA as well, and found it at my local food store.

Being another one of those children forced to drink Gatorade throughout childhood, I too would appreciate any further information anyone has to offer about Pedialyte.
I meant to add...

There is a less sugary version of Gatorade available called G2.  It advertises itself as being lower calorie, but has a bit less sugar as well.  I don't know all of the flavors, but there is a grape flavor I have been drinking lately.  It's not delicious by any means, but watered down it's not too terrible.
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/09/fashion/09pedia.html?ex=1346990400&en=afb1d5706802d1a7&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss

Here is a news article in the New York Times regarding pedialyte.  I just found it on the web in an effort to give you something more than just my opinion.  This is still more editorial than anything, but it gives you something.

Awesome!  Thank you!  The last couple of times I've been to the hospital, it's mainly been for saline/electrolyte IVs.  My last blood test showed my sodium to be low despite the two large bottles of Gatorade I drank the day before.

According to the article, "Pedialyte is used in hospitals throughout the United States for hydration." and "Compared with original Gatorade, Pedialyte has more than twice the sodium per ounce."  (Salkin, 2007)

At the end of the article, it also said something about it not tasting much better than chalk dust.  Since I don't much care for Gatorade either, I think I will give it a try.
I tried the Pedialyte freeze pops this week, and they are actually quite delicious.  I especially like the blue, and purple flavors.  I bought the apple flavor variety for the juice drink, but that wasn't all together very impressive.  Does anyone have flavor recommendations?
Let us know how it works for you!!!!  Hey, if the ice pops work that'd be GREAT.

Take care.
There is a lot of sodium and potassium in V8 as well...If you read the gatorade bottle that is what you are getting....Try V8!
Excellent point, thank you for the suggestion!  I don't particularly care for the taste of V8 either, but still this is helpful information.  I'm sure someone in our community will benefit.

I also found a new version of Powerade at the food store yesterday.  It was called Powerade Zero.  Plenty of salt and potassium, without the added sugar.  I don't recall the flavor I chose, but it was light blue in color.  I drank it cold from the refrigerator, and the taste wasn't so bad.