Dysautonomia (Autonomic Dysfunction) Community
Postural Orthostatic Tachyacardia Syndrome
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Dysautonomia (Autonomic Dysfunction) including: Postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), neurocardiogenic syncope, mitral valve prolapse dysautonomia, pure autonomic failure, autonomic instability and others.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Postural Orthostatic Tachyacardia Syndrome

I have POTS, We are trying to find out if there is any underlying problem b/c mine came out of the blue w/ no previous symptoms. Im going to my neurologist on Aug. 30. Any suggestions of tests or disorders to look for? Everyone I have talked to says there is something that had to cause this. Heart tests normal, mri normal, all blood work norm. except aldostrone and rbc. Thanks in advance!!!!
Related Discussions
2 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
875426_tn?1325532016
Did they rule out Addison's then, since your aldosterone was abnormal?  Did they look at your iron and ferritin (iron stores), TIBC (total iron binding capacity) and iron saturation percentage since your RBCs came back abnormal?  Mine were low recently while at the hospital.  Previously, when they were low, my ferritin was low.  Iron deficiency can cause rapid heart rate.  So even if you have POTS, it can make you worse.  If they haven't checked on these things, I hope you can get them to!  

The electrophysiologist who diagnosed me with POTS told me it was hereditary and usually comes out in the third decade of life or something like that.  I later learned I have a second cousin who was also diagnosed with it.  
Blank
  Hi! Is your body very flexible? Hyperflexable joints?  There is an association with POTS and many people with Joint Hyperflexability Syndrome/Ehlers-Danlos Type III.
If you think this might be a possiblity, a geneticist is best to confirm.

My son has POTS, Joint Hyperflexability and extremely low aldosterone with normal renin. Apparently, this is a common finding in many POTS patients.

Do you have any gastrointestinal symptoms, digestive problems or acid reflux, for instance?
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Dysautonomia (Autonomic Dysfunction) Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...