Dysautonomia (Autonomic Dysfunction) Community
Salt Tablets

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Dysautonomia (Autonomic Dysfunction) including: Postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), neurocardiogenic syncope, mitral valve prolapse dysautonomia, pure autonomic failure, autonomic instability and others.

Salt Tablets

Does anyone happen to know of a Salt Tablet that doesn't cause nausea?  I've tried many different types in the past, but all of them have caused me intense nausea.
With the warm weather we're already experiencing, I was going to wonder if anyone has any recommendations on salt tablets.  Sorry to bring this up again, but I'd appreciate any comments.  I've been looking for non-nauseating salt tablets for about ten years.
Due to the nature of salt tablets and the way that salt naturally interacts with the stomach you probably want find any Salt tablets that dont cause nausea. I have found the best thing to do is just add salt to everything. Little and often is absorbed a lot better than one big dose all in one go. x
I can't get enough by salting food and also can't stomach the tablets.  Here are some ways I've found to deal:
Pickling, Kosher, or sea salt - I get more stomach upset from table salt or tablets, which have silica, iodine, etc. added to them.  Grocery stores carry pure salt in the baking aisle labeled as above
Beef or chicken broth or boullion cubes - This is my emergency fix to keep from going to the ER.  It's weird to drink something hot in summer, but it's more palatable than plain salt.  Some brands taste better than others; I'm partial to Swanson's.
Salt in drinks - I mix pure salt into Gatorade, juice, and iced tea.  You'll have to play around to see how much tastes good to you.  Start with maybe a quarter teaspoon.
Salt on fruit - So far, fresh watermelon, cantaloupe, and peaches all taste better with salt than plain.  Haven't tried other fruits.
Salt in peanut butter - Add about a quarter teaspoon to 2 tablespoons of PB
Deli meat - Has a lot of preservatives, etc, but if you really need salt, it has it
If I think of more, I'll post farther down.
It takes time to adjust to more salt in your diet.  I spent my whole childhood eating food from scratch.  No canned veggies, no prepared foods, almost no fast food, homemade bread.  I had almost no salt in my diet, and I really disliked the taste of it.  The first year I ate more salt it made me very sick.  With time, though, I've adjusted and have much less stomach upset.
"Thermotabs" available at most pharmacies as an over the counter medicine (doesn't require prescription) work for me. Also, most soups have a high sodium content so that is another way to get more salt.
I break up my salt tablets into 4 pieces and take them at intervals during the day.  That has really helped reduce the nausea associated.