Dysautonomia (Autonomic Dysfunction) Community
Severe Lower Back Pain?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Dysautonomia (Autonomic Dysfunction) including: Postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), neurocardiogenic syncope, mitral valve prolapse dysautonomia, pure autonomic failure, autonomic instability and others.

Severe Lower Back Pain?

I have recently been diagnosed with Autonomic Small Fiber Neuropathy, with large fiber and motor neuron involvement.   One of my worst problems, is severe lower back pain.  It almost never goes away.  And when I am "diving", it is usually the first thing that sets off the chain reaction of other symptoms.

Just wondering if this is common with autonomic issues.

Thank you-
Cathy
I'm not sure if you're asking if the nearly constant severe lower back pain is common with dysautonomia, or if the chain of events of pain setting off a "crash" of worsening autonomic symptoms is.  I would say that definitely the latter is something that sounds pretty typical, while the former is not.  However, you have to take that with a grain of salt because I don't have a lot to draw on when it comes to large fiber/motor neuron involvement, so "typical" is relative to my experience.  

At any rate, sticking with what I do know, there are a variety of triggers that can set off a flare up of autonomic symptoms.  Different people find they are sensitive to different stressors, but common ones include flying on a plane, severe pain, bodily injury, invasive medical procedures, or even emotional turmoil such as a heated argument.  

Have you been able to work with a pain management specialist regarding your back pain at all?  If not, that might be something worthwhile to consider as reducing that pain could help you control your autonomic symptoms better if it's one of your triggers.  The pain management community here on MedHelp is wonderful, and it may be worth posting something over there to see if they have any input as well.  You can find them here:
http://www.medhelp.org/forums/Pain-Management/show/53
Thank you so much for your reply.  It definitely does start off the chain of events, but for the past month or so, it is almost constant.  Forget it, if I drop something and have to pick it up, or have to put something in the lower rack of the dishwasher.

I have another question to ask you.  Although, I will also post a new thread about it.  Is coughing a symptom of autonomic issues?  I have had a non stop cough for the past month.  I have seen a Pulmonary dr and he said everything sounds find.  It seems to be coming from my chest, but no phlem - just kind of dry and irritating.

Thank you for your help - you have been great!
Cathy
I too have lots of back pain, which is why I'm not posting much right now.  Pain is extremely common with neuropathy, so that might be where yours is coming from.  And I definitely find that really bad pain and autonomic problems go together.  For a while, I thought the pain got the dysautonomia going, but with a better understanding of the neuropathy, I think it's possible that all the neuropathy symptoms may flare up together, which includes the pain and the heart rate/BP/gastro problems/constantly having to pee for me.
Have you had your sedimentation rate and c-reactive protein levels checked while this is going on?  I have constantly elevated inflammatory markers, and it's important for doctors to know if yours are because it can help determine treatment.
Thank you for your response.  Ii am seeing a local neuro on Wednesday, just to get some preliminary questions answered.  I really don't care for this dr, but apparently he treats patients with this problem.  I'l keep you posted, once I see him.

Thank you again - I appreciate your feedback more than you can know!

Cathy