chest pains?
hey guys! I haven't been on here in a while...I hope everyone is doing great!  Lately my symptoms have been getting worse and I'm having to take my bp medicine a lot more but I doesn't seem to be helping.  In the past couple of days I have been having chest pains....it mainly hurts when I breathe out...?? Should I be concerned? Also my joints in my legs have been so painful even after sitting for 5-10 min on the couch..? Has this happened to anyone else??

Thanks,
Alex
"Atypical" chest pains (i.e. docs can't find anything tying the pains directly to the heart) are listed as one of the symptoms of POTS, and some other forms of dysautonomia.

I don't typically see joint pains listed in association with dysautonomia (except in conjunction with certain specific diseases—mainly the hereditary neuropathies and collagen disorders—which are associated with or cause dysautonomia).  On the other hand, you're far from the first person here to complain of joint pains like that.  On the other, other hand (lol), it's *possible* that many of the people with dysautonomia who have such joint pains have associated (or completely unrelated, for that matter) conditions which are causing the joint pains which just have yet to be diagnosed.  I, myself, have miserable joint pains ... but for what it's worth am also currently awaiting test results for one of the aforementioned associated diseases.  

I feel like I just spent an entire paragraph talking in circles, sorry.  Some days the brain fog is just like that and I wonder if I should be typing at all.  :-/  I would say that if the chest pains and/or the joint pains are enough to be concerning to you, OR if they are causing you to limit your activities at all, then definitely bring them up with your doctor; it can't hurt.  Judging by the fact that you mentioned them here, I'm guessing that they're significant enough that they're worth at least mentioning to your doctor at your next appointment, if not worth calling sooner about (esp. the chest pains).  A good rule of thumb is that anything that is not normal FOR YOU warrants a mention to your physician; changes in symptoms can sometimes tell docs something that we don't know.

If you want to know more about possible testing that can be done with regard to your joint pain, and what possible causes *might* be (there are a lot, unfortunately), let me/us know.

As for the chest pain, I'm not even going to hazard a guess.  I've heard of people being told that the pain is from the chest wall/ribs/intercostal (between the ribs) cartilage, that it had to do with acid reflux, that it was something to do with the respiratory system/asthma related/etc., that it was "growing pains," ... you name it, it's been said.  It might help to track your BP/HR whenever this occurs to see if it's associated with times when your dysauto is acting up.  But only your doctor can tell you for sure, and my two cents (for what that's worth, which in this case is not much) is that in the case of chest pains of the type you're describing that dysautonomia folk tend to get ... I think much of the time even the docs may be stabbing in the dark, because not much has been said in the published literature on us about what actually causes these pains.