Dysautonomia (Autonomic Dysfunction) Community
dysautinomia after open heart surgery

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Dysautonomia (Autonomic Dysfunction) including: Postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), neurocardiogenic syncope, mitral valve prolapse dysautonomia, pure autonomic failure, autonomic instability and others.

dysautinomia after open heart surgery

After extensive research im now sure that post  my open heart surgery last year I developped dysautonomia and now im having troubles with my heart rate that jumps crazily wiyh the minimum type of exercise the problem is I dont know the cure and more doctors here dont seem to be aaware of my case now what I really would like to know that if this heart rate /tachycardia is sinus in nature does tgis meab I can survive my whole life like this ? And for the dizziness and all is there even a cure ?thank u
Yes, the good news is that sinus tachycardia is generally benign (not harmful). The bad news is that there's no known cure for dysautonomia. However, there are many many treatments to address the various symptoms of dysautonomia. If your current cardiologist isn't experienced in this field of medicine, you may want to seek out an electrophysiologist ("EP Cardio") to treat your condition. The other option is a neurologist who treats dysautonomia, but considering yours is related to your heart surgery, you might have better luck with an EP Cardio.

Depending on the cause of the dizziness and whether it is vertigo or light-headedness, a neurologist should be able to address those symptoms for you. Doctors in the field of "neuro-otology" or "otoneurology" (brain and ear conditions) may specialize in treating dizziness, so it may be helpful to look for a practitioner in that subspecialty specifically, though any neurologist *can* treat dizziness.

I'm including a link to our health page on dysautonomia treatments for you. Please note that no one dysautonomia patient will have all of these symptoms, so only some of these treatments would be appropriate for you. At least by studying up on your options, you can have a more informed discussion with your doctors about what is right for you.

Cheers, H.

http://www.medhelp.org/tags/health_page/24603/Dysautonomia/Dysautonomia-Treatments?hp_id=171
Again thanks a lot but just one more thing doctors said I could go to yhe gyn and should do exercises but I really suffer when I do do u think I should? Maybe gradually little by little cause I really want to but fear the worst to happen during exercise
You may want to ask for a referral to physical therapy or cardiac rehab; both are often prescribed for dysautonomia and can help you identify a safe and effective exercise routine for yourself. General guidelines for physical activity with dysautonomia include:

-make sure to spend at least 10 minutes warming up and cooling down each time you exercise
-start with exercises that don't cause orthostatic stress, such as recumbent bicycle, rowing machine, and/or swimming
-pay extra attention to building up your leg muscles over time; these muscles help return blood to the heart from the lower extremities which can lessen symptoms of dysautonomia
-build up very gradually, and keep in mind that consistency is key; if you drop your exercise program every time you're having a bad day, it's going to make it that much harder on you
-consider gentle exercise like stretching, yoga, or pilates on days when you're more symptomatic and can't handle aerobic exercise

I hope this helps give you a better idea of how to approach exercise. Let me know if you have any other questions,
H.