Dysautonomia (Autonomic Dysfunction) Community
dysautonomia and diabetes

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Dysautonomia (Autonomic Dysfunction) including: Postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), neurocardiogenic syncope, mitral valve prolapse dysautonomia, pure autonomic failure, autonomic instability and others.

dysautonomia and diabetes

Does anyone else have diabetes and dysautonomia?  I am not sure of type of dysautonomia, Cardiologist never said.  But I am dizzy almost all the time and fall down alot.  I have my brain fog moments.  BP's as low as 60 over palp. Been in and out of hospital alot. Also have A-Flutter, CAD, Gastroparesis, fatty liver, IBS, GERD, Glaucoma, Esophageal and Stomach ulcers, depression (duh!), and hypothyroidism.  Was finally diagnosed with diabetes 6 years ago (now on insulin pump) after telling my previous doctor that I was symptomatic for 8 years.  I went to a new doctor when my fasting blood sugars were 190's and my old doctor still said it was my fatty liver.  I was diagnosed last year March with dysautonomia when my BP's were 60's/30-40's and I was falling down and passing out at work (RN in Labor and Delivery).  I know that this is very long, but I am having problems distinguishing diabetes and dysautonomia symptoms.  My friends say I don't always make sense when I am talking and I feel really foggy. Please help!!
Diabetes is one of the most common causes of autonomic dysfunction so you are certainly not alone!  It's also one of the most common causes—if not THE most common cause (I'd have to double-check my stats on that one)—of gastroparesis.  Interestingly enough, we don't see very many diabetics here in the dysautonomia forum, as opposed to other causes of dysautonomia.  My suspicion is that this is because diabetes is considered the primary diagnosis and dysautonomia is considered secondary to the diabetes.  However, secondary dysautonomia is every bit as REAL as primary dysautonomia; moreover, you share the very same signs and symptoms as the others here so I am sure you will fit in just fine, whether or not you find many others here who share your diabetes diagnosis!  We do have quite a number of gastroparesis sufferers; I'm just starting a new medication for that myself right now.  

Congratulations on getting a proper diagnosis!  (Speaking of which, dysautonomia secondary to diabetes is essentially a diagnosis unto itself ... there are some nit-picky ways to classify it in medical terms with regard to the precise neuropathy that is occurring but it seems your docs have already started to process some of that by diagnosing the gastroparesis, so you're fine with what you're calling it now basically.  If you haven't had a full workup for neuropathy, including epidermal nerve fiber density skin biopsies, that might be something you want to consider at some point as well.)

Oh, and you're in good company when it comes to the brain fog as well!  We sound the brain fog horns regularly in here!  So welcome to the Dysautonomia Community and feel free to fire away with whatever questions you may have, or just have a look around.
-Heiferly.
Thank you so much for the welcome!  I have felt so alone for months now!  I am currently on disability and stuck at home .  I drive to the grocery store and library, about 1 mile from home, and to doctor appointments but otherwise I stay here.  I am afraid that I will pass out while driving.  I get very lightheaded and confused easy.  Once, while I was still working, I stopped at a grocery store. When I got back into my car I had to call my fiance to check if I was supposed to be on my way to work or to home.  Needless to say he told me to wait right there while he came to get me!  I feel like a burden to him, even though he would deny it.  He is wonderful with everything that is going on.  But I used to be so active.  I really hate this disease more than the diabetes.  Thanks again for listening.