Dysautonomia (Autonomic Dysfunction) Community
exercise help?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Dysautonomia (Autonomic Dysfunction) including: Postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), neurocardiogenic syncope, mitral valve prolapse dysautonomia, pure autonomic failure, autonomic instability and others.

exercise help?

I did some arm exercise in bed the other day, only with 5 lbs whichfelt quite heavy. some time afterward, my arms and neck felt incredibly weak. I couldnt even be on the computer. I got reallly scared and called my doc but he said that weakness was not related to dysautonomia..Anyone have a similiar response? Im afraid to do it again or did i start off too heavy?
On the Dinet site (Pot's Place) on the left side of the page is a list of things to avoid.  Listed there is "Holding arms up in the air".  They have a good explanation for this listed.    I do not have POT's but I do have autonomic dysfunction and it is very hard to sustain any type of arm's up exercise without profound weakness and I can not do this type of weights.  My BP also falls the longer I stand.  I can most easily use a recumbent bike for exercise as my BP will not fall as fast since my legs are not straight down.  

I think the type and amt. of exercise we do is a challenge when we have autonomic problems but at the same time exercise is important.  Each of us may have different factors so we have to tailor our programs to ourselves.  I don't have the fast heart rate but the opposite in that mine won't speed up with activity and I sometimes have to use oxygen.

For me I do better exercising in the morning before I get fatigue.  Some people are the opposite.  I do better with shorter periods of exercise, using oxygen when needed, and resting rather then being upright too long.

Listen to what your body is telling you and ask others what works for them.  We can get ideas from each other.  

Good luck with finding a program that works!  Marie  
thanx for your advice.
Everyone's body is different. Five pound weights could be too much for you. I get very weak if I carry something heavy and afterwards, even opening a door can seem too much exertion.

Personally, I have to use two or three pound weights and be very gentle. it is a miracle that I am now able to do that and am keeping fingers crossed I can continue.  I second what Marie said above re. no arms over head exercises.  Those are a killer for me.

Hope this helps.

laura