Dysautonomia (Autonomic Dysfunction) Community
men with dysautonomia?
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Dysautonomia (Autonomic Dysfunction) including: Postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), neurocardiogenic syncope, mitral valve prolapse dysautonomia, pure autonomic failure, autonomic instability and others.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

men with dysautonomia?

My question is how many men have been diagnosed to having "dysautonomia"? I have been dealing with this since I have been 18 years old. I am now 41 and just got diagnosed a month ago. I realized that this isn't something that I will out grow. I have really slowed down in the past year and can tell that it has talking a toll on my body.
612876_tn?1355518095
My autonomic textbooks are packed up and I may not have access to them for as long as a few weeks from now, so unfortunately I have to rely on memory for now.

I don't recall ever seeing a precise statistic published for the ratio of women to men who have dysautonomia. It would be tricky because there are different ways to define the boundaries of who has dysautonomia:  the entire set of people who are affected by any ONE or more form of autonomic dysfunction vs. exclusively those with a generalized dysautonomia and/or autonomic failure.

Regardless, you are correct in your observation that dysautonomia affects women disproportionately. When it comes to POTS, NCS and, OI, the vast majority of patients (but not *all* by any means) are women. If I recall correctly, MSA is not as gender preferential. I'm not sure about PAF, FD, AAG (though autoimmune disorders in general are more prevalent in women, so that may follow here), baroreflex failure, etc.

I'm sorry I don't have more specific information at the moment, if you're still interested when I get my hands back on my textbooks I'll try to find better answers.

Cheers,

Heiferly
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Dysautonomia (Autonomic Dysfunction) Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979