Dysautonomia (Autonomic Dysfunction) Community
pyridostigmine

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Dysautonomia (Autonomic Dysfunction) including: Postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), neurocardiogenic syncope, mitral valve prolapse dysautonomia, pure autonomic failure, autonomic instability and others.

pyridostigmine

Has anyone tried pyridostigmine. My husbands Drs. would like to try but I would like to know of other peoples experiences,
I've never heard of Pyridostigmine.  What is it?  What symptoms would the Pyridostigmine be used to treat?
They hope it will help his posteral hypotension which is becoming a real problem. He even has "turns" when sitting now so much so they say it would be unsafe to have him come home.
I've never heard of that drug either, but I hope it works out for him.  Has he tried Midodrine or Florinef?  I hope he feels better soon.  Let us know how the new medication works out.
My mother recently took this medication for dysautonomia.  She was prescribed 30mg twice daily for two weeks and then she was to take 60mg twice daily.  It really helped her blood pressure problems, but she gradually started having visual problems and felt it was worse than the dizziness.  Her doctor told her to stop the medication due to the visual problems. Joanne203
I hadn't heard of this medication at the time of my previous post, but I've heard more about it since then, especially in regards to Dysautonomia treatment.  I may actually try it out myself at some point in the future.  I'm curious, has it helped your husbands symptoms at all?
I started on Pyridostigmine a couple of years ago after I maxed out on midodrine.  I have been on Florinef in the past but developed terrible side effects, and fewer and fewer doctors are using this or beta blockers any more.  I was a Nurse Practitioner with a specialty in Cardiology, but have been disabled for over 5 years as my Autonomic Failure has progressed so severely.  It is an excellent drug, for me since I was maxed out on everything is was called my "last chance" drug, and they waited until nothing else was working.  I wish they would have started sooner- it was like a miracle drug for me.  You have to start slow and build up to the dose so you don't get side effects, and you must take it at the same time every day - this is critical.  But since I started, it has turned my life around.  As I have gotten worse we had to increase the dose to levels they have not used, but it is working great again.  It is an old drug, usually used for Myasthenia Gravis so has a long known history of being safe.