Dysautonomia (Autonomic Dysfunction) Community
sudden attacks of sleepiness

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Dysautonomia (Autonomic Dysfunction) including: Postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), neurocardiogenic syncope, mitral valve prolapse dysautonomia, pure autonomic failure, autonomic instability and others.

sudden attacks of sleepiness

Hi everyone

I am very troubled by these episodes and am wondering if anyone else gets them or knows what could be causing them??? Lately I have been suffering from these overwhelming bouts of sleepiness. Literally like I cannot prevent myself from sleeping and its not a nice feeling because my heart and head feels funny when it happens. It is like a feeling of being drugged and head pressure. It is not blood sugar as I check and its stable. I have been experiencing alot of neck pain and am wondering if iot could be related to that or the autonomic dysfunction. Either way they are very scary because I can't control them. Any ideas or advice would be appreciated

Bren
You have every reason to be concerned as it is disconcerting to suddenly be fighting sleep especially with the feelings of pressure and headache. A doctor's visit is in order so he/she can  rule out several things that might cause the symptoms you mentioned.   Remember too sometimes there are more then one thing at play...so the neck pressure might be caused by something that also causes the headache and the sleepiness might be caused by something else but it will take a trained diagnostician to evaluate by asking questions and then ordering the tests needed to rule out a list of things that could cause these.

Your doctor will ask you several questions including how long this has been going on and how long the episodes last.  Does the headache go away after sleep?  The list of possibilities is long but in questioning you the doctor should be able to shorten it down to a few possible causes.  Some of these are more serious then others so I would hope you can call today and get in to see your doctor.  Marie