Ear, Nose & Throat Community
lower tooth pain along jaw to ear

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

lower tooth pain along jaw to ear

I do not think I have a dental problem as I have regular check ups and have had damaged nerves in the past. I also don't feel that it's an infection in my ear, so am taking pain killers. But what could be the problem?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

If there point tenderness and pain on opening the mouth, your symptoms could be due to temporomandibular (TMJ) joint arthritis. This is the jaw joint and inflammation of this joint can cause pin on opening the mouth and tenderness on palpating behind the ear. If  you have had a recent throat infection, it could also be due to lymph node enlargement. It could also be due to local causes like tooth infections, tooth abscess or periodontal disease. Please discuss this with your doctor am sure he will provide further assistance. In the meantime you can take OTC pain medication Ibuprofen. Ensure to take this medication after food to avoid gastritis.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Thank you for your comment. I really don't know if it's TMJ as I wear a splint at night so that I don't grind my teeth. but joint arthritis could be it as I  have arthritis in other joints.

Today I awoke feeling fine, but later noticed the other ear was aching and teeth on the  other upper side were a little sore....couldn't exactly call it toothache.

I am pretty certain I don't have any gum disease as I am fanatical about dental hygiene.
I wasn't aware that we could get arthritis in the jaw and ear areas. That's a worry!

I wear hearing aids and yesterday had to remove one as it was too painful to wear. It seemed as if my ear was too small for it to fit.

If  it doesn't improve in a day or so I'll go to the doctor, or maybe dentist? Not sure which.
Thanks again
thank you so much for your answer, and for taking the  time to offer suggestions.

I have arranged to have a dental check up and am taking medication for neuralgia. It's helping.

Regards,
Lilifafa